Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 18 January 2020 at 11:41 pm UTC

PangaeaAlthough the Witcher wiki is very good ofc, as I look through things and try to find information, there are actually many things that could have been improved as well, and new things created. But with the likely result of everything getting wiped out again, I'm not even going to bother trying. Which is just as well I suppose, if the whole wiki itself may get terminated in 6 months or however long it takes for their new overlords to pull the trigger.

I don't remember such things happening to my edits, and usually Game Widow is very helpful. Not sure what was going on there, but possibly they have additional polices when you mention real people without solid source. Which makes sense I suppose, because it can have legal implications.

I recommend you to stick to the Wiki, especially if you plan another playthrough. It needs good contributors! Active contributions will actually help avoiding it being merged into the Fandom one.

Last edited by Shmerl on 19 January 2020 at 12:32 am UTC

Pangaea commented on 19 January 2020 at 12:30 am UTC

There are certainly things that can be done, like fill out most quest pages with more info, and more minor but very useful stuff like mention what the difficulties actually do, and big stuff like writing guides of sorts, or at least explain mechanics a bit more. However, often when I try to contribute with stuff like this, it just get reverted, which means I wasted a lot of time first figuring stuff or finding the info elsewhere, and then making the actual edits. It's not much fun. It has mostly been on other wikis in fairness, but it's frustrating every time. Including a major crash on the Pillars of Eternity wiki, which caused me to resign as a wiki guardian. No idea how many hours I put in, probably several hundreds, but not sure if anything is left there now. Maybe some of the Cargo stuff (a database system basically).

Forgot how slow it was to level up in the beginning. Played quite a few hours, and only just made it to level 3. The Death March experience has been positively surprising so far. Haven't died a single time (and the start is often tricky in all the Witcher games). Has been close a couple of times when surrounded by ghouls and wolves, however. Definitely notice that all enemies hit harder, and have a fair bit more health. Fun so far, though. It's mostly the "bosses" I'm worried about.

Fun to start with blank sheets again too, with no oils or potions or anything. Coupled with Death March, combat has been challenging, but fun. But I do look forward to getting some more levels under my belt, so I'm able to go into the Combat and Alchemy tree (only have Queen explosion and the Axii dialogue so far -- the latter kind of a waste, but meh, I like to get it early).

Some of the alchemy skills actually look really cool and useful, so that may be something for you to look into as well. What level are you now?

Pangaea commented on 19 January 2020 at 12:33 am UTC

The crackling sound keeps happening every now and then. I never did find a solution to it. Hopefully the current trend will continue, with it being possible to play several hours between each time. Need to restart the game when it happens. If anybody have tips, though, I'd be glad to try and get it sorted. Maybe it's pulseaudio or something acting up? Haven't gotten it in any other games I play, though :-/

Shmerl commented on 19 January 2020 at 12:42 am UTC

I'll probably try signs / alchemy focused playthrough next time Currently level 22 and still in Skellige. Feels like explored quite a lot, and leveled above Skellige expected quests. So higher difficulty is actually helpful here.

Another option I didn't try yet is monster level scaling. Right now it's disabled (default).

Last edited by Shmerl on 19 January 2020 at 12:53 am UTC

Shmerl commented on 19 January 2020 at 12:43 am UTC

As for the sound - it's likely a hardware problem. Hopefully once you'll get a new motherboard, it won't happen again.

Pangaea commented on 19 January 2020 at 2:51 pm UTC

ShmerlAs for the sound - it's likely a hardware problem. Hopefully once you'll get a new motherboard, it won't happen again.

It's very similar to this report: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/solved-crackling-sound/113943
Except I can't get it working, and despite following the steps mentioned there, restarting pulseaudio does not work with that command. Well, it's running according to htop. But when running the status commands mentioned, I'm told

Start request repeated too quickly.
Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Failed to start Sound Service.

Then something about
pulseaudio.socket: Failed with result 'service-start-limit-hit'.
[pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop. (with a long error message about did not receive a reply)
[pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.

However, the odd thing (to me) is that everything else works sound-wise. I've not had this crackling issue in any other games or when playing music or videos. It has only happened in the Witcher 3.

It's not a major issue because I can just restart the game and that sorts it out, but it's annoying when it happens in long cutscenes or during tough fights.

If it really is a hardware problem and not drivers or settings, then I can only cross my fingers it will be fixed when I buy a new computer at some undefined point in the future.

Pangaea commented on 19 January 2020 at 2:52 pm UTC

As an aside, a proper rake seller could make a fortune in Velen. Broken rakes in every other house and container it seems

Edit: I've not tried level scaling either. I dislike options like that in general, as it often makes leveling up futile. I prefer that enemies are at the level the developers intended. But if things get easy towards the end of the game, when we're basically overleveled against everything, maybe I will try it out. We'll see... For now I'm enjoying the 'normal' Death March. Crowds are definitely the worst and has been when I've been closest to dying (got the archgriffin, woot).

Gaining less XP throughout should mean the overleveling thing isn't as big of a problem, though. There is a 80% modifier on Death March, vs 90% for Blood and broken bones. Doesn't sound like much, but it should add up (or not, heh) for main quest rewards.

Last edited by Pangaea on 19 January 2020 at 3:00 pm UTC

adamhm commented on 19 January 2020 at 9:12 pm UTC

I recently started noticing a number of games having issues with crackling sound on my system. In my case it seems to be Firefox's fault, as it only happens if I leave Firefox running in the background & closing Firefox fixes it.

It's not the first time I've run into issues with leaving Firefox running in the background either: some time ago games using Esync started crashing regularly on my system with "eventfd: Too many open files" (despite the limit being increased to 1048576), and that turned out to be Firefox's fault too.

Ehvis commented on 19 January 2020 at 9:29 pm UTC

adamhmI recently started noticing a number of games having issues with crackling sound on my system. In my case it seems to be Firefox's fault, as it only happens if I leave Firefox running in the background & closing Firefox fixes it.

It's not the first time I've run into issues with leaving Firefox running in the background either: some time ago games using Esync started crashing regularly on my system with "eventfd: Too many open files" (despite the limit being increased to 1048576), and that turned out to be Firefox's fault too.

Had the same thing. It stopped when I changed the default sampling rate for Pulseaudio to 48000.

Shmerl commented on 19 January 2020 at 10:04 pm UTC

I suspect it also depends on the CPU. On weaker systems pulseaudio starves for CPU more.

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts