You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «149/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jan 24, 2020
Yeah, that tutorial area was always very heavy on the GPU. I'll try benchmarking in other places :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 January 2020 at 9:14 am UTC
Pangaea Jan 24, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: PangaeaIf you have the xml bundle uncooked, can you check if it's reasonably easy to get info from the files? For difficulty, XP, items, abilities, and suchlike?

I didn't really delve into uncooked files besides for the soundtrack info (you can uncook only the files you need), so I'm not that familiar with their layout. But I can look around. Do you know which files specifically do you need resources from?

You can try uncooking yourself too with ModKit in Wine. It's actually doable from the regular Linux terminal, no need to use cmd.

Haven't managed to do it with Wine, and the commands look rather confusing.

Interested in lots of different files really, as I wonder if for instance components for items and dismantling are correct (re: some recent edits). Then I noticed quite a few abilities don't have the full effects noted down, but it's a pain to tab back and forth to the game for each one, and then try to combat with wikitables (gah!). XP, health, damage for enemies. XP etc for various difficulty levels. +vitality for each level (due to the link to console commands earlier I can do it manually, level by level, but it's a slow and boring process).

If stuff like this is easy to look up in xml files that would be preferable. But they could also contain loads of hard-to-decipher ID numbers (e.g. for ingredients).

As hinted at earlier, really not sure I should get so involved, though. I've been down that road before, and it's easy to burn out. Then you are left with half-done work, which in some ways may be worse than currently.

Had many big plans earlier for the RimWorld wiki, and I started on some of them, but it became way, WAY too much. My experience is that once you start looking into stuff like this, you notice 5 new issues for each one you try to solve, and suddenly what sounds like something fast and easy to solve has become a mountain of work.

And if you happen to look at the syntax/code for the DPL-generated tables... OMFG! :'(
(such as: https://witcher.gamepedia.com/The_Witcher_3_silver_swords )

Last edited by Pangaea on 24 January 2020 at 4:41 pm UTC
Shmerl Jan 24, 2020
Oh, that table code is terrible :)

I might write some small tutorial on the Wiki itself, on how to uncook things on Linux.
Pangaea Jan 24, 2020
Thanks, that would be great. I'm not all that proficient with either Wine or code like that, where to put what files (without cocking up the actual game) and stuff like that.

Finally hit level 17, so can wear Feline/Cat gear :) Which is quite fitting as I'm about to head out the door for a Steel Panther concert :D So far I kinda played like a normal sword wielding Geralt -- but I wanted to try out alchemy. I therefore blew 1000 crowns on a reset potion.

Before:

After:

DPS went down almost 100 (mainly due to lacking crit chance), but I did gain 600 health. Hopefully it will be fun to play like this, and I hope it will "feel" different. Shame it's so awkward to actually drink potions from several slots, since we realistically only have 2 or 3 quick slots for it. Some kind of selection system like for bombs would be nice, so we could do it during combat without having to go to the inventory screen (it's possible to drink directly there, if a little awkward).

Lacking Quen explosion could be dangerous, but I want to go more fully into alchemy, just to see what it's like.
Shmerl Jan 24, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaShame it's so awkward to actually drink potions from several slots, since we realistically only have 2 or 3 quick slots for it. Some kind of selection system like for bombs would be nice, so we could do it during combat without having to go to the inventory screen (it's possible to drink directly there, if a little awkward).

I highly recommend this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1221

The especially handy thing it adds is the quick inventory UI. You might need to merge things, if you have other mods.

Last edited by Shmerl on 24 January 2020 at 8:01 pm UTC
Koopacabras Jan 24, 2020
just a heads up I think that during this sale some DLC items have gone free, not so important like a Geralt beard and a Yennefer costume, not sure because I haven't seen them free before. This is on steam.
Ehvis Jan 24, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabatjust a heads up I think that during this sale some DLC items have gone free, not so important like a Geralt beard and a Yennefer costume, not sure because I haven't seen them free before. This is on steam.

They have always been free.
Pangaea Jan 25, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: PangaeaShame it's so awkward to actually drink potions from several slots, since we realistically only have 2 or 3 quick slots for it. Some kind of selection system like for bombs would be nice, so we could do it during combat without having to go to the inventory screen (it's possible to drink directly there, if a little awkward).

I highly recommend this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1221

The especially handy thing it adds is the quick inventory UI. You might need to merge things, if you have other mods.

Cheers, that looks quite useful, if perhaps a rather more than I'd really be looking for. Looks like the Minimapzoom mod uses some impacted files, which probably means I'd need to wrestle with ScriptMerger too. So guess it's better to live with the limited slots for now.

This is unfortunately one of those things that would have been easier (for me) on Windows, instead of needing to put stuff through Wine and often failing.
Shmerl Jan 26, 2020
I don't really use script merger, simply old school manual merge using some diff/merge tool for scripts :) But that only covers the scripts part. I never had to deal with merging which involves uncooking and re-cooking resources, which is indeed a mess I suppose.

Last edited by Shmerl on 26 January 2020 at 2:23 am UTC
Pangaea Jan 27, 2020
What I've realised after playing on Death March is that the game is actually quite easy. Didn't dare to try DM before because I thought it would be one-shot hell, but it doesn't really feel very different from blood and broken bones. I'm currently level 20 and just went to Skellige, so could potentially use a fair few skills now. However, it's been pretty smooth sailing throughout, and I've not been utilising many skills at all. Despite going with an alchemy build I'm sort of playing like before, with sword and dodging. Hurts to get hit ofc, but it's usually easy enough to get through combat without dying. And there are so much one can do to make combat easier (that I've not been doing), like throwing bombs, making and chugging down decoctions, potions galore, using signs.

It has surprised me, and now I get why people would so often recommend to play on death march from the get-go. It's not nearly as scary as I thought it would be.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.