You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support me on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! We will also never show adverts to anyone who supports GamingOnLinux! Alternatively, you can support me on Paypal.
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Shmerl commented on 19 October 2017 at 7:50 am UTC

bekoI was there and it needed months to work out all the issues.

Sure. They released beta quality first, so those who were playing it should have been aware of it. Problem is they didn't explain it at first, and only later pointed out that it's beta and they need to work issues out. I don't mind really, they did a goood job. Like you said, I already played the game in Wine by that time, but I still appreciate that they made the "native" (eON wrapped) release.

beko commented on 19 October 2017 at 12:37 pm UTC

I was _not_ on the beta channel. This thing was released as "final". How would I, the consumer, be aware of this?Claiming it's just "BETA" later.. just a lame excuse for "We screwed up big time".

Shmerl commented on 19 October 2017 at 3:51 pm UTC

bekoI was _not_ on the beta channel. This thing was released as "final". How would I, the consumer, be aware of this?Claiming it's just "BETA" later.. just a lame excuse for "We screwed up big time".

I can't say about channels (not using Steam), but their builds published through their own site (and listed in their official Linux bug tacker) were clearly marked as beta. At least anyone involved there was aware of it. They released the game on GOG after it was out of first beta cycle, though they still had a few issues to fix, and they provided several updates after that. Regardless, they never said it was final especially in the early versions, not sure where you got such impression.

beko commented on 19 October 2017 at 10:05 pm UTC

Impressions were "OUT NOW" ads and "Install" button on Steam (and Steam does feature proper beta channels).

Shmerl commented on 19 October 2017 at 10:13 pm UTC

As a GOG user I only got the game much later anyway (GOG didn't even support Linux at that point), so when I got it, it was already in better shape (but still had some bugs). Besides, did they go back and fix major issues? They did. So not sure what you are complaining about. The end result is a playable game. Too often developers release a buggy game and never fix it.

beko commented on 19 October 2017 at 11:10 pm UTC

I did not complain. I claimed it was initial a desaster and _made_ _me_ _not_ pre-order TW3 any more. That'd be all.

I voted with my _money_, as any consumer should do it, instead of whining on some bbs. Not that CDPR would care. Sales rocketed anyway.

Now I got it for dead cheap and on discount. DLCs included. I waited. And boy I would have bought this for any price with a port when it was fresh. In fact I even bought TW2 twice when it's port was _released_ just to show my appreciation. And that was when things went south.

Can we burry that can of worms now?

Shmerl commented on 19 October 2017 at 11:59 pm UTC

bekoAnd that was when things went south.

So in the end, did you play TW2 after bug fixes?

Things really went south, when they dropped The Witcher 3 port for Linux, after advertising it for 2 years in a row first. That was highly annoying.

beko commented on 20 October 2017 at 12:10 am UTC

Not really. I started again after the worst was sorted out but there was a noticeable input lag that drove me mad. Made it to Flotsam and stopped again. Never looked back.

Shmerl commented on 20 October 2017 at 12:12 am UTC

Never had input lag there. But it's somewhat demanding, you need a good machine for it.

beko commented on 20 October 2017 at 12:20 am UTC

You must be logged in to see this section!
Yeah.. I know I'm a little weak on the CPU side nowadays

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Story Time: "A New Beginning" (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook