Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «34/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Oct 19, 2017
As a GOG user I only got the game much later anyway (GOG didn't even support Linux at that point), so when I got it, it was already in better shape (but still had some bugs). Besides, did they go back and fix major issues? They did. So not sure what you are complaining about. The end result is a playable game. Too often developers release a buggy game and never fix it.
beko Oct 19, 2017
I did not complain. I claimed it was initial a desaster and _made_ _me_ _not_ pre-order TW3 any more. That'd be all.

I voted with my _money_, as any consumer should do it, instead of whining on some bbs. Not that CDPR would care. Sales rocketed anyway.

Now I got it for dead cheap and on discount. DLCs included. I waited. And boy I would have bought this for any price with a port when it was fresh. In fact I even bought TW2 twice when it's port was _released_ just to show my appreciation. And that was when things went south.

Can we burry that can of worms now?
Shmerl Oct 19, 2017
Quoting: bekoAnd that was when things went south.

So in the end, did you play TW2 after bug fixes?

Things really went south, when they dropped The Witcher 3 port for Linux, after advertising it for 2 years in a row first. That was highly annoying.
beko Oct 20, 2017
Not really. I started again after the worst was sorted out but there was a noticeable input lag that drove me mad. Made it to Flotsam and stopped again. Never looked back.
Shmerl Oct 20, 2017
Never had input lag there. But it's somewhat demanding, you need a good machine for it.
beko Oct 20, 2017
[users-only]You mean I should try again?
Linux Morpheus 4.10.14-200.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 3 22:52:30 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 [GeForce GTX TITAN X] (rev a1)
nvidia-settings:  version 381.22  (mockbuild@)  Wed May 10 15:36:51 CEST 2017
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          24081        7265        1555         131       15260       13503
Swap:          4076         563        3513

[/users-only]
Yeah.. I know I'm a little weak on the CPU side nowadays ;)
Shmerl Oct 20, 2017
Quoting: beko[users-only]You mean I should try again?

Sure, why not. I don't know if you used the last version. You can get it on GOG to be sure: https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup
Ehvis Oct 20, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlNever had input lag there. But it's somewhat demanding, you need a good machine for it.

In the beginning the input lag was terrible. Especially the menus were really bad. It did get fixed eventually though. I gave it a try much later and everything felt pretty good. Still have to play through it though. With the not-happening of TW3, it got backlogged.
beko Oct 20, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlYou can get it on GOG to be sure: https://www.gog.com/witcher/backup
I bought it on GOG and on Steam so I should be good :)
tuubi Oct 20, 2017
Quoting: bekomodel name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Yeah.. I know I'm a little weak on the CPU side nowadays ;)
The i7-2600K does the job just fine. It hasn't been the bottleneck in any game for me yet, possibly because my GPU isn't anywhere near as powerful as yours.

I actually played through TW2 on my old GTX 760 after VP got the worst problems sorted out and it ran just fine. I didn't play on maxed settings of course.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.