Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «35/178»
  Go to:
beko Oct 20, 2017
Quoting: tuubiThe i7-2600K does the job just fine. It hasn't been the bottleneck in any game for me yet, possibly because my GPU isn't anywhere near as powerful as yours.
Good to know :) I never run any benchmarks so that's just based on a feeling. I usually just fiddle as long with the settings until I find a nice set that works and looks good enough for me.
andda715 Oct 23, 2017
Hi,

First of I am so happy with seeing the progress being made on having Witcher 3 running on Linux. :-)

I've browsed this thread for awhile but can't really understand what is the "expected" state you can get with respect to "average fps".

My system specs are:

Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8GHz with a MSI Geforce GTX 1080 and I generally run Witcher 3 in Windows (dual-boot) with everything on Ultra or max settings and it never goes below 60fps (in game-play, videos at 32fps).
I capped it at 60 as I only have a 60Hz Monitor. :-)

Now, on Ubuntu it is quite a different story where the fps I get is roughly 18-20 fps with huge input lag. Infrequent dips down to 10 and up to 22 happens.
Most recently tested on wine-staging 2.19.

From what I can tell using glxosd and htop etc the game use ~40-45% GPU and roughly 1 core or average load at ~2(?).

Reducing graphics does nothing for fps. I.e. running at 1080p or 720p gives identical fps. :-(

Is this the "best I can expect" as of now or are there some settings I can tweak? :-)
I am in no rush and if I can help out in some way I am happy to do so. :-)
Shmerl Oct 23, 2017
Quoting: andda715I've browsed this thread for awhile but can't really understand what is the "expected" state you can get with respect to "average fps".

With Nvidia blob, framerate currently is much lower than on Windows. With AMD / Mesa, it's just slightly lower than on Windows. I suppose with Nvidia, it's either an issue with the driver, of with the way Wine is doing something. In short, to play TW3 on Linux, AMD is the best option today. I'm still waiting for anyone with Vega GPU to post some TW3 benchmarks in Wine.
Avehicle7887 Oct 23, 2017
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: andda715I've browsed this thread for awhile but can't really understand what is the "expected" state you can get with respect to "average fps".

With Nvidia blob, framerate currently is much lower than on Windows. With AMD / Mesa, it's just slightly lower than on Windows. I suppose with Nvidia, it's either an issue with the driver, of with the way Wine is doing something. In short, to play TW3 on Linux, AMD is the best option today. I'm still waiting for anyone with Vega GPU to post some TW3 benchmarks in Wine.

Seems like Wine gaming in general is better with AMD. Wine-Nine has proved to be quite better than CSMT in many games and with W3 performing better, I think it's a clear answer where we're heading at this rate.

Judging by the benchmarks at Phoronix, it seems it won't be too long before AMD catches up to Nvidia with OpenGL performance, while at the same time retaining all the other advantages.

@ andda715: I run the game with a mix of medium/low settings 1080p with a similar setup as you - 1700X/GTX 1060. FPS in White Orchard is between 28-40 most of the time.

If it's any help this is what I'm running in my regedit:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"CSMT"="enabled"
"MaxVersionGL"=dword:00045000
"UseGLSL"="enabled"
"VideoMemorySize"="6144"
beko Oct 31, 2017
What's the status of the patchsets you're playing with?

I'm on wine-2.19 (Staging) (winehq-staging) and wonder whether I'm missing some important performance patch.

I noticed that the game starts to slow down _a lot_ during playing and won't recover until restarted.

And the environment effect "rain" is a real killer to the performance.
Shmerl Oct 31, 2017
Nothing new so far. There is no improvement for Nvidia. The only practical advice now if you want to play the game - get recent high end AMD card.

And these bugs are one biggest remaining annoyances:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43828
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43872
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43131
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43158

I suppose some of them are related to missing multisample textures support:
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42820
beko Oct 31, 2017
Well tweaking any GPU settings doesn't seem to impact my issues at all. It looks like the GPU is starving. It doesn't even heat up. It's playable. Invisible enemies are annoying, yes, but as long as I see them on the minimap I can locate them by their health bars. Works somehow. Also I know whenever I encounter a pitch black spot it's some sort of invisible entrace. I'm now somewhere in Verden and no single crash so far. Just the slow down is annoying since it degrades especially _some_ fights to a slideshow.
Shmerl Oct 31, 2017
I don't think performance will improve, unless Nvidia driver will be changed (unlikely) or Wine developers will investigate it deeply, find the bottleneck, and then rewrite what Wine is doing without hurting current performance in Mesa. I'd say, if you can - just get a Vega card.
beko Oct 31, 2017
Too bad. I won't buy another GPU in that price class for sure :-/ Well I knew what I was bargain for. It's amazing how good it runs considering the circumstances.
Shmerl Oct 31, 2017
Consider buying AMD for your next upgrade.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.