Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «38/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Nov 7, 2017
Quoting: mrdeathjr
QuoteShould fix GPU hangs in The Witcher 3 and Unigine: Superposition.

Great! Right now you need to revert one commit to work around it.

Unfortunately some major bugs still remain:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42820
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43131
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43828
Shmerl Nov 7, 2017
It's merged to master now.
Avehicle7887 Nov 7, 2017
Should I call this a small improvement with Wine Staging 2.20? The "black veil" in the starting room of Kaer Morhen now has a texture. FPS is still a bit wonky but stutters more compared to 2.19.

Shmerl Nov 7, 2017
Quoting: Avehicle7887Should I call this a small improvement with Wine Staging 2.20? The "black veil" in the starting room of Kaer Morhen now has a texture.

It has been a texture for a while for me. The root cause of this bug is still present.

Quoting: Avehicle7887FPS is still a bit wonky but stutters more compared to 2.19.

I have a feeling that unless Nvidia will fix their kernel module, this will remain an issue. May be Wine developers will find some workaround, but they are more focused on features than on optimizing for Nvidia blob now.
Shmerl Nov 7, 2017
From Henri Verbeet, one of the Wine developers:

QuoteAs a rough estimate I'd say about 40-50% of our users are using NVIDIA GPUs, of which about 80-90% are using the proprietary drivers. That's certainly a significant number of people, which of course we'll try to help where reasonably possible. But it's not just about numbers; Wine is in the first place a Free Software project, and quite frankly plenty of us would be happier if more of our users used Free Software drivers.

Interestingly, it means that number of Mesa users is higher for Wine, than percentage in POL stats (27% open / 73% blob).
Pependos Nov 8, 2017
QuoteInterestingly, it means that number of Mesa users is higher for Wine, than percentage in POL stats (27% open / 73% blob).

Maybe it's because of how TW3 works with Mesa drivers? And also I think there's no script for TW3 in PoL to install it easily and make it work properly, so Wine is better choice.
Shmerl Nov 8, 2017
Quoting: Pependos
QuoteInterestingly, it means that number of Mesa users is higher for Wine, than percentage in POL stats (27% open / 73% blob).

Maybe it's because of how TW3 works with Mesa drivers?

In part, but Wine in general tends to work better with Mesa.

Quoting: PependosAnd also I think there's no script for TW3 in PoL to install it easily and make it work properly, so Wine is better choice.

POL is using Wine, but until recently, stock and staging Wine weren't ready enough and manual tweaks were needed to make a working combination. Now staging will probably get in good shape.
Avehicle7887 Nov 8, 2017
I think in part, the best thing about Mesa and Wine is the Gallium-Nine feature. In many gameplay benchmarks I've seen it's almost or on par with Windows. Meanwhile Witcher 3 is a perfect example that even without Nine, Mesa still beats Nvidia.

Today I've finished dusting off (literally in that sense) my old i5 system, highly thinking about putting an average AMD gpu dedicated just for Wine gaming and a few benchmarks. Will wait to see what else AMD has for show before diving in though.
GNUzel Nov 9, 2017
I've never had an AMD card until now so I'm considering what it'd be like to use it with MESA.
Shmerl Nov 9, 2017
Quoting: GNUzelI've never had an AMD card until now so I'm considering what it'd be like to use it with MESA.

These days it's a good time to get AMD already.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.