Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «37/178»
  Go to:
beko Nov 4, 2017
Quoting: mrdeathjrRemember this i7 8600K stay at 4.8ghz if you have delid can pass easily 5.0ghz
^_^
What's delid? :)

Fun story. I bagged a i5-8600K / ASUS PRIME Z370-P yesterday :-) Fingers crossed that it'll ship. Couldn't find a single offer for a "in stock" at my place but I found an offer as upgrade kit together with the Z370-P that I was going to buy anyway with this CPU and the kit was marked as "in stock".
Avehicle7887 Nov 5, 2017
Quoting: beko
Quoting: mrdeathjrRemember this i7 8600K stay at 4.8ghz if you have delid can pass easily 5.0ghz
^_^

Delidding is the process of removing the metal heat spreader in a desktop CPU. By removing the lid you can place the cooler directly on the chip. Haven't tested myself but according to many websites it allows for better cooling. There are also tools to do it safely.

mrdeathjr Nov 5, 2017
Quoting: Avehicle7887
Quoting: beko
^_^

Delidding is the process of removing the metal heat spreader in a desktop CPU.

By removing the lid you can place the cooler directly on the chip.

Haven't tested myself but according to many websites it allows for better cooling.

There are also tools to do it safely.

Exactly and is highly recommended if want oc intel 8xxx beyond 4.7ghz

Easily can reduce temps around 20 degrees with good thermal paste

However delid remove intel cpu warranty

This tools is recommended

Delid Die Mate 2

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut

This is official page of Delid Die Mate 2 and guide

http://der8auer.com/delid-die-mate/

^_^
beko Nov 5, 2017
Thanks, you learn something new every day :D
Shmerl Nov 5, 2017
With AMD though, the heatpipe connector goes directly on the chip anyway, right? At least that's what I did when attaching my Noctua cooler.
adamhm Nov 5, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlWith AMD though, the heatpipe connector goes directly on the chip anyway, right? At least that's what I did when attaching my Noctua cooler.

The integrated heat spreaders are the metal casing over the CPU die & they're not supposed to be removed... it's just that after Sandy Bridge Intel stopped soldering them, instead using much cheaper (and much less effective) thermal paste. So now it's a thing to de-lid them and replace the stock paste with something better to greatly reduce temperatures & allow for much better overclocks.

The IHS on AMD CPUs are still soldered; de-lidding them would offer no benefit.
Shmerl Nov 6, 2017
Latest updates to Wine brought Mesa freeze back even with workaround patch.

Reverting commit 0832b5cded389096dcf74ac93367ae4ee4b8d35b and applying the workaround patch, prevents the freeze.

See https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/commitdiff/0832b5cded389096dcf74ac93367ae4ee4b8d35b
Shmerl Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, I updated the howto.
mrdeathjr Nov 7, 2017
New patches maybe in next hours can be approved (jozef kucia stay very active*)

[PATCH 1/4] wined3d: Disable pixel shader when rasterization is disabled.

[PATCH 2/4] wined3d: Handle stream output components when rasterization is disabled.

[PATCH 3/4] d3d11/tests: Add test for stream output components.

[PATCH 4/4] wined3d: Invalidate pixel shader only when rasterization is toggled.

https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/138358

QuoteShould fix GPU hangs in The Witcher 3 and Unigine: Superposition.

*Maybe because wine 3.0rc stay for begin later in this month, maybe next wine will be last of wine 2.x series (possible 2.21) after this in teory wine 3.0rc phase begins aka frozen code

Staging 2.21 will be very interesting

^_^
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.