You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «68/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Feb 18, 2018
Quoting: malek69
Quoting: ShmerlThat's how this pool hack used to work, until it became outdated.
this patch??

I mean the regular staging pool hack: https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/blob/master/patches/wined3d-buffer_create/0001-wined3d-Do-not-pin-large-buffers.patch

It was applicable without touching any other staging patches. Now it's obsolete, and even its reworked version doesn't help (as I said above).

I suppose Wine developers will need to figure out how to properly address low performance issue.
andda715 Feb 18, 2018
Just FYI, tried with a clean wineprefix with only steam and witcher => same behavior as in previous post. Hanging and black screen (Wine 3.2). :-(
Shmerl Feb 18, 2018
Quoting: andda715Just FYI, tried with a clean wineprefix with only steam and witcher => same behavior as in previous post. Hanging and black screen (Wine 3.2). :-(

Could it be some Nvidia driver regression? Did you update it recently? At least with Mesa I don't see anything of the sort.
andda715 Feb 18, 2018
Similar to what I thought, but I got the problem on the old driver and then updated to the latest.
I upgraded after I got the problem, so it was present on 387.xx as well. :-/
Also tried it on kernel 4.14 etc.

Same scenario, works on 3.0 but not on 3.2.
Shmerl Feb 18, 2018
A major patch related to memory management / buffer hack: https://source.winehq.org/patches/data/141918
Shmerl Feb 18, 2018
So far no improvement with those patches:

CPU utilization is now also erratic.
Shmerl Feb 19, 2018
Quoting: GuestHonestly.. i think they should stop wasting their time trying to get Witcher 3 to go well with GL. DXVK is the approach they should take.

I wouldn't call it a waste. OpenGL backend for DX11 in Wine is already in a very good shape, while work on dxvk will take a long time still. I'd suggest for them to finish it, and work on dxvk in parallel. Though I don't know how good the chances are for upstreaming it.
Avehicle7887 Feb 19, 2018
Freshly built Vanilla Wine 3.2 (64bit only) - No Staging patches.

Framerate doesn't surpass the 20fps mark and for the first time I'm not seeing invisible floor.

Registry Settings:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"csmt"=dword:00000001
"UseGLSL"="enabled"
"VideoMemorySize"="6144"

System:

Linux Mint 18.1*
GTX 1060 / Driver 384.111
Kernel 4.15.3-generic

*Wine binaries have been built using Debian 9
Shmerl Feb 19, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887for the first time I'm not seeing invisible floor.

That has been fixed for a while already.
Avehicle7887 Feb 19, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Avehicle7887for the first time I'm not seeing invisible floor.

That has been fixed for a while already.

I kinda knew I was a bit late for the party :-)

EDIT: Any idea about the fps improvement over 3.1?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.