The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «70/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Mar 2, 2018
Józef Kucia prepared a set of patches that affect draw calls with no attachments (should be related to invisinble monsters and Mesa freeze issue): https://source.winehq.org/patches/

I wonder if they are working better than before.
Shmerl Mar 2, 2018
Actually, it's not yet a fix for the freeze, but at least current patches are upstreamed, and more people can test them.
andda715 Mar 2, 2018
Did some testing with small buffers patch and the solution for the capped at 60 fps issue.

See https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44623

With above patches fps is now ~27 up to 35fps in the wild with Nvidia.
That high it has never been for me - not even with wine-staging. :-)

Generally 19-20 in Hierarch Square.
Avehicle7887 Mar 3, 2018
Just a test I've ran with latest v3.3, no additional patches applied, fps didn't go more than 16. Will try again using buffers patch tomorrow.

chinaphone-one Mar 3, 2018
Do I missed something or Hairworks works now?
Nvidia 290.25. wine-3.3. I realized there is small-buffer-hack needed for fps, recompiling now.
But with 5-7fps there is not big difference between enabled and disabled Hairworks. Will see with hack later.
andda715 Mar 3, 2018
Hi,

When testing I definitely recommend to apply both the buffer patch and the swapchain fix.

buffer patch
swapchain fix

Buffer patch gives 15.00 or 20.00 fps using Nvidia.
Swapchain fix takes that to ~19 - ~37 fps for me.

(yes, staring into the sky to maximize FPS)

(same spot)

(Hairworks fully enabled - almost working! Strange artifacts though?)
Avehicle7887 Mar 3, 2018
Quoting: andda715Hi,

When testing I definitely recommend to apply both the buffer patch and the swapchain fix.

Thanks for the links. I noticed your GPU temps are at 61 degrees in your screenshots, a bit high in my book. I set my fan speed manually at about 35% when gaming and temperatures don't go beyond 45 deg.
andda715 Mar 3, 2018
Yes, the fans are not running - I guess the load is not big enough.
It is very quiet though and <90C is a non issue as it is only during at most a few hours. :-)
SirBubbles Mar 3, 2018
Tried the buffering patch and the swapchain patch mentioned by andda715 a few posts up, and they made a noticeable difference in Skellige for me. I used "export WINEDEBUG=-all,+fps" in a terminal, and it showed 20-30+ fps in the Freya's Garden quest. Much improved, I say. Also had an impact in Fallout 4, similar story in Diamond City.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.