The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «155/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Mar 5, 2020
From what I've read, "force full compositing pipeline" was always an ugly and poorly performing hack that Nvidia came up with, to compensate for the lack of proper vsync support, which in turn is caused by the fact that they refuse to upstream their driver and therefore can't integrate it with proper DRM/KMS interfaces that handle vsync.

So I'm not surprised that it's giving bad experience.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 March 2020 at 4:32 am UTC
slaapliedje Mar 5, 2020
Quoting: MohandevirHere is the context... I'm on Ubuntu 19.10 with Nvidia driver 440.59 (GTX 1660 Super). I've been trying to play Witcher 3 on Gnome/KDE/Cinnamon desktop and had a lot of tearing/stuttering issues. I tried the usual "Force Full Composition Pipeline" and it kind of worked (there is still some micro stuttering), but If I try to activate the in-game Vsync, I'm back to square one. Thing is, there is no fps cap and my GPU fans tends to skyrocket, without Vsync.

So... This week, I discovered a workaround... Just creating the xorg.conf file (via the nvidia control panel), without the "Force Full Composition Pipeline" option seems to solve my issue... After that, in-game Vsync works great, comparable to when I run my games in the SteamOS-compositor.

Does it makes sense? Is this a placebo effect? :)
Do you have G-Sync, or compatible monitor(s)?
Mohandevir Mar 6, 2020
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: MohandevirHere is the context... I'm on Ubuntu 19.10 with Nvidia driver 440.59 (GTX 1660 Super). I've been trying to play Witcher 3 on Gnome/KDE/Cinnamon desktop and had a lot of tearing/stuttering issues. I tried the usual "Force Full Composition Pipeline" and it kind of worked (there is still some micro stuttering), but If I try to activate the in-game Vsync, I'm back to square one. Thing is, there is no fps cap and my GPU fans tends to skyrocket, without Vsync.

So... This week, I discovered a workaround... Just creating the xorg.conf file (via the nvidia control panel), without the "Force Full Composition Pipeline" option seems to solve my issue... After that, in-game Vsync works great, comparable to when I run my games in the SteamOS-compositor.

Does it makes sense? Is this a placebo effect? :)
Do you have G-Sync, or compatible monitor(s)?

Nope! It's connected to my 4 years old Panasonic HD TV.
Shmerl Mar 16, 2020
Just some nice screenshots - on the mountain path to Fornhala

Last edited by Shmerl on 16 March 2020 at 1:32 pm UTC
Pangaea Mar 16, 2020
I like that road. It's very unique, with harsh weather and it seems so desolate.
AlexP 4 years Mar 28, 2020
It seems to work, but the sound is crackling in the intro movies (the game itself seems to be fine so far), such as before the main menu and when starting new game or after finishing training in the beginning of the game. Tried the Steam version and the GOG version in Lutris (installed manually like here https://forums.lutris.net/t/very-brief-tutorial-on-manually-installing-a-game-in-lutris/2028 ) with different Wine and Proton versions, PulseAudio latency and restart options.
Anyone else having this issue?

Here is the recording where you should be able to hear that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxLDM8A0WjM

PulseAudio configs: https://gist.github.com/AlexP11223/dd52dba1fb6b859ab5de4080487e6a2f
Tried to remove my custom settings from daemon.conf, no effects.

PopOS 19.10, Intel 9900k, Nvidia 1080.

Last edited by AlexP on 28 March 2020 at 10:35 pm UTC
Shmerl Mar 29, 2020
Likely a hardware related bug. Try a different audio card for a test.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 March 2020 at 12:24 am UTC
AlexP 4 years Mar 29, 2020
How could it be a hw bug if other people can hear it in the recording?
Shmerl Mar 29, 2020
If the bug is in your kernel audio driver (ALSA), then it will be in your recording too, so not sure what's the question. Testing it with another audio card can confirm that it's not a Wine / faudio issue. If it happens with any card you try, it could be something on the higher level.

These kind of problems happen with some hardware, and there is no good userspace fix for it.

Last edited by Shmerl on 29 March 2020 at 5:03 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.