Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Performance issues in some games only
fryk Jun 19, 2017
Hi there!
I'm having performance issues on my new (well, not so new anymore) PC.

Specs:
- Ubuntu 16.04.2
- Intel Core i7-6700 3,4 GHz
- 32 GB RAM
- MSI GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC (381.22 driver)
- ASUS PG27AQ G-SYNC UHD Monitor (3840 × 2160 px)
- SSD and HDD

There are some games that have massive performance issues while in full screen mode. Windowed (same resolution, same settings) they run really smooth. Setting the resolution down to full HD or setting graphics to "low" doesn't change anything as well as whether the games are installed on SSD or HDD. It feels a bit like watching online videos with a really bad connection.... :-/ ... game is loading for many seconds, and then go on a tiny little bit. Here is a list of the games that make problems:
Stardew Valley (The mines are kind of impossible to walk in, the rest works most of the time.)
Dying Light (intros / videos are laging really bad. Some areasin the game work fine, some don't)
Sanctum 2 (the whole game is not performing well)
Dungeon Defenders (the whole game is not performing well)

On many other games, even with higher requirements, I don't have these issues.

Does anyone else have these problems? Is there a solution? I searched the internet for a while but didn't find anything similar (maybe used the wrong terms?).

Thanks a lot!
Ehvis Jun 19, 2017
I think you're running into the G-SYNC problem. This is why it only happens on fullscreen. According to NVIDIA, some games don't do their implementation of flipping correctly (or using a frame limiter), which makes it interfere with the VSYNC setting. The net effect is that when VSYNC and G-SYNC are both turned on, the driver gets heavily confused and massacres your framerate.

Unfortunately, the only fix is to turn off either VSYNC or G-SYNC for that particular game. Or the actual devs of the game need to fix their engine.

Off the top of my head, I have these problems with the following games:

Rocket League
Dead Island DE
Euro Truck Simulator 2
American Truck Simulator

Probably a few more, but I can't recall at this time.
fryk Jun 19, 2017
Thanks a lot! I'll check it out later when I'm at home.
fryk Jun 19, 2017
Yes! Awesome! Turning off gsync or vsync really does help! :D
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.