Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Loosing hope on linux gaming
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Blaster-PR Jul 6, 2017
Hi there today my friend made the harsh decision to switch back to windows 10 for gaming, :( Im loosing all hope! so sad.
damarrin Jul 6, 2017
Yes, well. There are A LOT of games missing from Linux.

Also, the correct form of the verb is "loosening".

Spoiler, click me
:P
Liam Dawe Jul 7, 2017
Who cares? Let them do what they want, if you enjoy Linux use it. You don't need to worry about what other people do.
MaCroX95 Jul 7, 2017
Quoting: liamdaweWho cares? Let them do what they want, if you enjoy Linux use it. You don't need to worry about what other people do.

Liam, it's harder than it seems... I have a few friends who are always playing these games that I just cannot enjoy with them because they're not on linux... I can understand the struggle between the players and why Windows is such an appealing option because objectively performance and library is better on Windows... and community and friends players are one of the most important aspects of gaming...

We just need more companies like System76 and first expand our userbase in order to attract AAA developers... because our community atm is set up of people who really enjoy linux for what it is and not neccessarily its gaming capability. Being able to play some of the games only makes our staying here even nicer.

EDIT: I certainly wouldn't use linux if gaming was the first and only thing in my mind :P
Bergerac Jul 12, 2017
It's a shame that Steam machines have faired so badly, they really were a golden opportunity to expand Linux gaming, and to be fair Steam for Linux and investment from Valve have benefited us a lot in terms of gaming and support. I think it would have been better if Steam machines had a more focused release, and it would have been better to first try to carve a place in the console market before moving to take on Windows gaming.

But I wouldn't worry about somebody switching from Linux to Windows, people are welcome to use whatever OS they like on their machines, I just wish Microsoft felt the same way and it wasn't such a headache deleting Windows 10 from some modern machines.
Asu Jul 30, 2017
There's no going back after Gaben put steam on linux in 2013.
Steel yourself soldier. Play only games that have linux client. A few: civ, deus ex, mad max, tomb raider, bioshock, total war, shadow of mordor, ark, f1 2015, grid, rocket league, countless indies, etc, etc, etc, etc...
I repeat: forget windoze, winners use linux!
razing32 Jul 30, 2017
Most of my friends use Windows so I know that pain.
I also know that a lot of people prefer the next-next-finish option rather than tweaking their OS.

Don't loose hope. Just add some of us or find new people to play with on the site.

What do you play usually ?

What game pushed your friend over the edge and made him make the switch ?
MaCroX95 Jul 30, 2017
Quoting: AsuThere's no going back after Gaben put steam on linux in 2013.
Steel yourself soldier. Play only games that have linux client. A few: civ, deus ex, mad max, tomb raider, bioshock, total war, shadow of mordor, ark, f1 2015, grid, rocket league, countless indies, etc, etc, etc, etc...
I repeat: forget windoze, winners use linux!

At least people who have a bit of self-respect will use an operating system that at least provides you with options of obeying you in a world of virtual privacy (internet) anyway.
slaapliedje Jul 30, 2017
Friends don't let friends use Windows!

Kidding aside, I solve the problem by only suggesting games to friends / co-workers that work on Linux. That way I can say, "Hey, we should play Dying Light. There's a Linux client too, and it performs quite well!" My theory is that people don't really want to use Windows, they just don't know of any other choice.

Over complication of Windows and it's closed source environment with all of it's issues not being easily looked up online is one of the reasons console gaming is so popular. Linux you can say is complicated as well, but at least you can generally type in the exact error and find loads of information on how to fix it.
Arnaudk Aug 1, 2017
I fact Windows is more gamer-friendly than Linux. Everyone knows that.

Off-course, Steam helped a lot, but not too much. Desura was in fact the first big player pushing toward Linux adoption, and that's sad they closed down the online platform
MaCroX95 Aug 1, 2017
Quoting: ArnaudkI fact Windows is more gamer-friendly than Linux. Everyone knows that.

Off-course, Steam helped a lot, but not too much. Desura was in fact the first big player pushing toward Linux adoption, and that's sad they closed down the online platform

What is it more user-friendly on Steam for Windows than Steam for linux? It's only more gamer-friendly cause it has more support and more games, nothing else.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.