Loosing hope on linux gaming
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
razing32 Aug 1, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: ArnaudkI fact Windows is more gamer-friendly than Linux. Everyone knows that.

Off-course, Steam helped a lot, but not too much. Desura was in fact the first big player pushing toward Linux adoption, and that's sad they closed down the online platform

What is it more user-friendly on Steam for Windows than Steam for linux? It's only more gamer-friendly cause it has more support and more games, nothing else.

I hate to say this , but driver support from vendors is much better.
We are kind of a second thought.
Stranger Aug 1, 2017
As a developer, one of the main reasons I target Linux is the idea that Linux gamers are going to be more positive to a game than on Windows. We've seen plenty of gamers be very positive about getting Linux support, and that's always motivating to keep both platforms working. Mac seems like a big hassle no one really wants in comparison, despite showing slightly higher sales on Steam.

At the end of the day the market size isn't the only relevant point. If Linux users are twice as likely to buy the game and it's easy to support, then it's an easy sell.
MaCroX95 Aug 1, 2017
Quoting: razing32
Quoting: MaCroX95
Quoting: ArnaudkI fact Windows is more gamer-friendly than Linux. Everyone knows that.

Off-course, Steam helped a lot, but not too much. Desura was in fact the first big player pushing toward Linux adoption, and that's sad they closed down the online platform

What is it more user-friendly on Steam for Windows than Steam for linux? It's only more gamer-friendly cause it has more support and more games, nothing else.

I hate to say this , but driver support from vendors is much better.
We are kind of a second thought.

I agree we are a second thought but they do support us after all :D and also Nvidia has on par performance with Windows drivers. I don't use AMD so can't comment on them. It is the game development studios whose fault is that they don't want to support us with any of their games, it wouldn't cost them much, they're just plain dicks especially for games like Hearthstone etc. But other than game support there's not many differences between linux and windows gaming.

Quoting: StrangerAs a developer, one of the main reasons I target Linux is the idea that Linux gamers are going to be more positive to a game than on Windows. We've seen plenty of gamers be very positive about getting Linux support, and that's always motivating to keep both platforms working. Mac seems like a big hassle no one really wants in comparison, despite showing slightly higher sales on Steam.

At the end of the day the market size isn't the only relevant point. If Linux users are twice as likely to buy the game and it's easy to support, then it's an easy sell.

I really appreciate such kind words :) it's really unfortunate that AAA studios would never consider thinking like that and that Feral needs to do all of the work for them if they decide to allow them in the first place.
razing32 Aug 1, 2017
Quoting: MaCroX95it wouldn't cost them much, they're just plain dicks especially for games like Hearthstone etc.

That's the Linux book of revelations isn't it ?

As the first seal opened I looked and before me was a great beast , and it spoke a most ominous tongue and revealed itself as Blizzard.
As the second seal opened a great demon stepped forth. And I dared to ask its name and it growled back at me "Bethesda"

Seriously , if those two ever release on Linux I'm running to check if the sky isn't falling or the rivers haven't turned to blood. :P
Kuduzkehpan Aug 1, 2017
Quotehttps://www.gamingonlinux.com/profiles/5350
Seriously , if those two ever release on Linux I'm running to check if the sky isn't falling or the rivers haven't turned to blood.
sky is little bit shaking and rivers kind of blury.
at least some peoples testing blizzard games with wine. WOW, Diablo III, StarCraft 2. and also SDL was developed retired blizzard developer.
how ever. if one is gamer i suggest stick with windows xbox ps4, if one is linux er stick with linux. if one is both i suggest "dual boot" or stop crying.
i suggest myself look to the future. new technologies always wellcomes with new hopes. just like Vulkan UE4 Unity UNIGINE.CryEngine WebGL bla bla.
Steam name = ME-X with eye candy UBUNTU İCON as Avatar. free to Add me as friend.
tuubi Aug 2, 2017
Quoting: Kuduzkehpanand also SDL was developed retired blizzard developer.
Actually Sam Lantinga released the first version of SDL back in 1998, and didn't join Blizzard until a couple of years later.
crt0mega Aug 2, 2017
Windows gaming? Been there, done that. I remember all these user friendly experiences like hunting down x64 drivers for older hardware. Or hunting down drivers in general. I know Linux can be picky as hell, but I never had to touch "chipset drivers" just because USB 3.0 wouldn't work otherwise.
1xok Aug 5, 2017
I just bought a PlayStation. Mainly because of Elite: Dangerous. But also for other games like The Last of us, Bloodborne or The Guardian. I'm also curious about Sony's live streaming.

For Windows I would need another PC. My main computer runs all day. And it has to run on Linux for many reasons.

But if I had a Windows PC, then I would certainly not play ARK under Linux. ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.