Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[DONE] clear up cluttered start page
ungutknut Jul 25, 2017
Hi,

there's one thing bothering me here on GOL: the start page is cluttered with useless info.
Have a look:
http://imgur.com/a/4GMUo

)On top the current article in focus - using up way too much space IMO but ok. Why not.
)Next message: Support me on Patreon... I already do. Not reminding me of supporting you should be the #1 benefit of supporting you.
)Follow me on google+ and telegram. I'm missing a button to make this message disappear forever. There must be a more subtle place to make ads for other platforms.
)You haven't updated you pc info... yes. There's a reminder for that anyway each month in the articles (see below). No need for an additional sticky-reminder each time I visit the page.

Would be great if you could make all these messages disappear. Maybe make them optional for anyone still interested in being reminded of the same things every day?

Thanks.
Liam Dawe Jul 25, 2017
QuoteOn top the current article in focus - using up way too much space IMO but ok. Why not.
I feel it's important to highlight certain things, I may in future allow people to turn off the featured section :)

Will address a couple things here:
QuoteNext message: Support me on Patreon... I already do. Not reminding me of supporting you should be the #1 benefit of supporting you.
Your account isn't showing as a supporter, that's why. Can you PM on Patreon or here with the email address you use on Patreon? It's likely they don't match what we have here, which is why you see that message.

Quote)Follow me on google+ and telegram. I'm missing a button to make this message disappear forever. There must be a more subtle place to make ads for other platforms.
)You haven't updated you pc info... yes. There's a reminder for that anyway each month in the articles (see below). No need for an additional sticky-reminder each time I visit the page.
Yeah I'm looking at easy ways to allow people to dismiss them for a while. Not currently sure on the best way, but I will get to it.
Liam Dawe Jul 25, 2017
So I had a little think on it and as of now, announcements can be dismissed with the little cross at the end. It uses cookies, so it will keep it stored for 60 days (this also then allows non-registered users to dismiss them too!).

The only one that cannot be dismissed is the Patreon announcement, but anyone subbed doesn't see it :)

Hope that makes the experience better for you! :)
ungutknut Jul 25, 2017
Oh, wow. Thanks for the fast response and action!

But the dismiss-button for the pc-info update reminder doesn't work yet. It just says {:dismiss}  instead of the "x".

However the google+ reminder is removable now. And for the patreon-account: I've replied to a recent thread on your patreon-page where someone had the same problem - because I have no idea how to send private messages on patreon ^^
Liam Dawe Jul 26, 2017
I have fixed the pc info announce bar missing a dismiss option. Uses the same behaviour, sets a cookie for 60 days.

Will send you a PM here about Patreon.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.