Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Need help regarding some compiling with Make.
Avehicle7887 Jul 29, 2017
I'm trying to learn how compiling works and while I've been successful in compiling the Yamagi-Quake 2 client, I can only get the game to run by pointing it manually to where the "libGL.so.1" file is (using LD_PRELOAD). I would like to set it to automatically detect where the library is.

Running Mint 18.2, Using propietary Nvidia driver. I'm compiling using SDL2 (which required me to install some Mesa libraries) if it's any help.
Avehicle7887 Jul 29, 2017
Update - It turns out the Mesa libGL.so file was overriding the Nvidia one, in order to avoid destabilizing the system I zipped up the mesa files and replaced them with the nvidia one.
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Aug 2, 2017
As for using Make, i would recommend trying CMake along with it. As you might know already, CMake is neither Make itself or a compiler, but (very) basically a generator/configurer of Makefiles to use with Make.

Cmake also contain a lot of Find* modules specifically for detecting and locating libraries and dependencies. (basically independent of what platform or architecture Cmake tries to generate your project's Makefiles on).

Example is the FindOpenGL and FindSDL module.

It's also entirely possible to use Cmake to configure/write other files than Makefiles. And also to set and put environment vars into the generated Makefiles. Maybe it could be useful for your problem?

I apologize if i misunderstood your post though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.