You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Dark Souls III with wine
cthulhusreign Aug 19, 2017
So it seems that other games are getting their bugs fixed left and right. I am over here waiting to see if anyone will work on DaS III or maybe it isn't as important as the witcher 3. So far I have gotten the exe to run and i have gotten the menu and in game text to stop flashing by addin a new String Value named StrictDrawOrdering
then set it to enabled and checked the csmt. Anybody got anything else? I would really like to play this game.
Ehvis Aug 19, 2017
Wine development can be a bit one sided. Having TW3 work, but the DX10 features of Bioshock fail shows how varied the results are.
De1m0s Aug 20, 2017
I try to play DS3 since wine-version 2.0. At this time, game started, but menus where terrible flashing. That has gone better with higher versions, but that's all what's working.
In game, you only see your statusbar and mini-menu. Nothing else. No character, no background.

Second thing is, that the game strongly needs to be played with controller. All the menus and options must be handled by controller. i did not found any way to change settings by keyboard.
And i spent x hours on getting controller working in wine >2.x. Impossible at this time.
De1m0s Dec 1, 2017
Update (Wine 2.22): Character-creation works now, and the intro video is playing. But game crashes, just before it really starts.
Anorelsan Dec 30, 2017
This is one of the games I really want to play natively but I think it will be very improbable. I will play it under wine when it works.

Quoting: De1m0sSecond thing is, that the game strongly needs to be played with controller. All the menus and options must be handled by controller. i did not found any way to change settings by keyboard.
And i spent x hours on getting controller working in wine >2.x. Impossible at this time.

What gamepad do you use? If it is the xbox 360, have you tried to install xboxdrv and execute this command:
"xboxdrv --detach-kernel-driver --buttonmap 1=3,3=1,2=4,4=2,rt=start,lt=back,start=rt,back=lt --ui-buttonmap guide=KEY_LEFTSHIFT+KEY_TAB,rt=KEY_END,lt=KEY_G --detach --dbus disabled --daemon"

Before playing the game?
De1m0s Feb 4, 2018
Quoting: KhudsaThis is one of the games I really want to play natively but I think it will be very improbable. I will play it under wine when it works.

Quoting: De1m0sSecond thing is, that the game strongly needs to be played with controller. All the menus and options must be handled by controller. i did not found any way to change settings by keyboard.

What gamepad do you use? If it is the xbox 360, have you tried to install xboxdrv and execute this command:
"xboxdrv --detach-kernel-driver --buttonmap 1=3,3=1,2=4,4=2,rt=start,lt=back,start=rt,back=lt --ui-buttonmap guide=KEY_LEFTSHIFT+KEY_TAB,rt=KEY_END,lt=KEY_G --detach --dbus disabled --daemon"

Before playing the game?

Yes, i did. This is the method, i'm using for DS1. Playing this from time to time. Does not work for me for DS3.
De1m0s Feb 4, 2018
Hello

DS3 does not start anymore, with vanilla wine. I get the following error:
002e:err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bd0e9c0 "../../../dlls/ntdll/loader.c: loader_section"

I get the same error in ResidentEvil7 and The Surge.
Tried today v3.1; the error exists in every of the last 3.x versions.

Can anybody confirm?
Julius Mar 4, 2018
Did anyone try this with the new 3.3-staging (available in Lutris)?
De1m0s May 11, 2018
DS3 is working now!
Use wine-staging3.7, DXVK 0.50 and xinput1_3.dll from dumbxinput for joystick-support.
If you use nvidia-drivers, make sure you have the 396.xx installed.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.