You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
can we have a true linux phone?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Sep 14, 2017
I'm still rather miffed about the Jolla Tablet...

But I still have my N9 and N900, sadly though there are applications I need that run only Android/iOS, so went with the Samsung Notes. Probably would have gotten a Jolla phone when they'd come out if they'd supported all the bands in the US.
Julius Sep 15, 2017
Yeah that announcement made me consider it again. Gnome is nice, but I think it work better for tablets, while plasma mobile seems to be more phone oriented.

I guess I could sign up for it as they are only charging your credit card if they reach the goal (doesn't look so likely right now), but my stupid visa card has issues with some "security" features :(
tonR May 21, 2019
I revived this thread due to current issue about Huawei-Google/Trade war things. Regardless whatever your stances, I think it is important for us to have an alternative ways to use FOSS mobile devices as same as we use on PC right now.

I appreciate all devs working on devices to run FOSS especially Linux like postmarketOS, UBPorts, Librem etc. BUT in my opinion, some these projects' development kinda too slow for at least to functional use as like late-2000 "dumbphone" on daily basis. No offence and apologies for harsh words.

IMO, no alternative will create virtual monopoly thus creating unfair leverage or it will become a "weapon" for some.

So, I hope we have new things/ideas to discuss about Linux phones/mobile devices on this revived thread.
Salvatos May 21, 2019
Librem is chugging along nicely. The devkits have shipped and they are refining the boards and apps. There's just no way I can justify buying a $600 phone, but I'm very interested in their effort. I hope it does well and they can bring the cost down on future iterations.
damarrin May 21, 2019
Ubuntu/UBports is still very far from usable for non-enthusiasts. It's true that progress has been glacial, but that's the way it is when there's no financial interest.

I'd argue Apple is better than Google, tbf, as Google's business is ostensibly gathering data about its users and Apple's isn't... probably.
skyrrd May 21, 2019
I also like the idea of a true linux smartphone and would be willing to trade in some comfort for privacy and control.
i doubt purism will be able to deliver the librem 5 in the anticipated time frame, but they will do better if they take their time to polish their device instead of rushing...but might also be a bit more realistic about their etas

I'm also very interested in the pinephone and necunos Smartphone. We will see how good these three will hold up to their promises and how they work as a daily driver.

Right now i am using a mate 10 pro and there are exactly two reasons why i cant make the full switch Back to my beloved oneplus one flashed with ubports

First one is the camera ( i have three Kids and Smartphones have superseeded the need for Compact cameras long ago.)

Second one is WhatsApp (and i hate to rely on this disgusting pile of crap)

But right now people seem to ignore any other form of digital communication, so there is no way around that Service atm.

Besides that i am anyways in the process of degoogling my life (thanks to nextcloud, protonmail and other new favourites) and dont Play any Games on my phone, so i dont mind if there arent any "hip" Apps and Games available when These devices Launch.

Edit: forget about necunos Phone as a daily driver. Besides its huge pricetag and mediocre Hardware (imx6, 1gb ram) ist also lacks a celluar Radio so only usable via WLAN or maybe as a tethered device.
tonR May 22, 2019
Quoting: skyrrdSecond one is WhatsApp (and i hate to rely on this disgusting pile of crap)
AGREED! And what's more disgusting? Sending my personal banking info on that f*king app!
Seriously, most banks' officers nowadays mainly using Whatsapp to send/received anyone personal infos. Data protection law is exist here but you know.....

.......let's be quiet and not rock the boat.
Ehvis May 22, 2019
Quoting: skyrrdBut right now people seem to ignore any other form of digital communication, so there is no way around that Service atm.

I have never used it and never will. It's never been a problem, so the "no way around" seems to be mostly a self-made problem.
wvstolzing May 22, 2019
Quoting: EhvisI have never used it and never will. It's never been a problem, so the "no way around" seems to be mostly a self-made problem.

Not necessarily; when people around you rely on that app exclusively, you could find yourself at a disadvantage. A couple of weeks ago a cousin of mine took a few pictures with his phone at a family gathering. I asked him to send the pictures to me in an email -- he insisted on whatsapp, though that's not an option for me, as I don't have a mobile phone. I gave him my email address, and I'm _still_ waiting for those attachments.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.