Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Respons From Star Citizen Regarding Linux :(
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Zelox Sep 20, 2017
Hey,

I just wanned to share this post I got from the Star citizen support.
Sadly I dont know how to uploade any images :/.

QuoteHey there Zelox!

Great question here and I can understand wanting to ensure that you will have a system that can run the game once everything is released. At this time, development is proceeding strictly for Windows based computers and the aim is to get the game working and released for that platform first. However sometime in the future the game may be updated to work with iOS or Linux. There is no possible way I could provide some sort of estimate for when that would happen, as we are still in development and testing phases with everything constantly in flux.

If you wanted to follow current development to see where we're at, you can keep up with our Schedule and Announcements at the following links:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report (Please note the Schedule Report is literally our internal report given to employee's each day, however, the public one is updated every Friday.)

I was alot more confident they would support Linux then this answer sounds like.
Still I dont know if they have to give us this answer, he doesnt say no or yes.
But the news from Chris Robertz, the Vulkan support and so on sounded very Linux port friendly.
I was really confident a Linux version would show up. Now it sounds like maybe.
Shmerl Sep 20, 2017
At least they sound interested, but I don't like the "may be" part. It's all too ambigous at the moment. The only thing that's clear - we'll have to wait until Windows release for more info. The funny thing is, they don't even know when Windows release itself will happen ;)
Zelox Sep 20, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlThe funny thing is, they don't even know when Windows release itself will happen ;)

December was something Iv heard a while back, but there is more updates inc so I doubt it.
So I think you have a point. Atleast we dont have to throw money at the game until it becomes a finished.
Liam Dawe Sep 20, 2017
May? Ouch that doesn't sound good.
Pecisk Sep 21, 2017
Considering Star Citizen project problems overall I don't Linux port is an issue here - game coming out at all is (hint: it highly likely won't).
jasondaigo Sep 21, 2017
for me there are only 2 options;
1:the game will never release;
2:it will be released and i dont give a fuck about it.
when steam was launched long time ago i started hating this drm thingy. then people started paying money for beta tests in early access. and now they even buy items in alpha games and have subscriptions with monthly fees; i am so against this cash grab overall i can hardly see my buying this ever. even if it is the only game that is available.
Xpander Sep 21, 2017
Quote....However sometime in the future the game may be updated to work with iOS or Linux....

it makes me wonder why are iOS and Linux on the same list? thats really odd, is it confirmed for Android? or they somehow think linux is Android?
tuubi Sep 21, 2017
Quoting: Xpander.
Quote....However sometime in the future the game may be updated to work with iOS or Linux....
it makes me wonder why are iOS and Linux on the same list? thats really odd, is it confirmed for Android? or they somehow think linux is Android?
I find it more likely they confused iOS with OSX.
charliebrownau Sep 21, 2017
I Wouldnt be surpised if Ive lost AUD$300 with Star Citizen

It will end up becoming longest release to retail of any crowd funded game
It will be most expensive crowd funded game
it will be most hyped crowd funded game

Even thou the claim to be open its now 4 years down the track

I backed in Aug 2013 , its now Sept 2017

Things i wanted for the game:-

* Proper standalone dedicated Oceanic servers before retail, not cloud
(just like one of the 23million backer rewards)
* FOV Slider
* Track IR support
* Turn off blue tint
* Increase white light inside garage (too dark)
* Actually use all cores on my CPU , it was suck on 30%
* Actually use OpenGL over DX11
* Actually use Vulkan over DX12
* Able to play Chapter 1 squad42 coop with my clan on an oceanic server like they originally promised
* Totally revamp client patcher , its a farking joke redownloading 20-30 gig each release, this hasnt been fixed
* Remove p2p by default from client downloader or remove p2p all together
* Remove p2p match making and go client-server in online modes

Okay now we have a proper PC release, lets add Linux native support
slaapliedje Sep 22, 2017
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: Xpander.
I find it more likely they confused iOS with OSX.

They weren't confused, it's because they are in the know *wink wink* that by the time Star Citizen is released as a full game of the year edition (some time in 2052, when we probably have personal craft that can go to the moon) that iOS will have long replaced macOS. :P

Edit: Good sign? https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=CryENGINE-5.4-Released

Though from what I understood, Star Citizen was forked from the CryENGINE some time ago, so they're working off of a different base?
tuubi Sep 22, 2017
Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: tuubiI find it more likely they confused iOS with OSX.
They weren't confused, it's because they are in the know *wink wink* that by the time Star Citizen is released as a full game of the year edition (some time in 2052, when we probably have personal craft that can go to the moon) that iOS will have long replaced macOS. :P
By then, humanity is willingly ruled by emperor Tux, our benevolent, penguin-shaped dictator, and everything runs on open source.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.