Xpander Oct 24, 2014
woow super... thanks...

modified a bit :P

**dropbox links gone**
EKRboi Oct 24, 2014
Quoting: Xpanderwoow super... thanks...

modified a bit :P

[

No prob! looks good! I see we're running the same processor ;)

I've seen mention of the ck kernel before. I just looked into it. Does it make a noticeable difference? Any downsides? I'm sure ill spend time researching it when I get home from workm but any quick notes?
Xpander Oct 24, 2014
Quoting: EKRboiNo prob! looks good! I see we're running the same processor ;)

I've seen mention of the ck kernel before. I just looked into it. Does it make a noticeable difference? Any downsides? I'm sure ill spend time researching it when I get home from workm but any quick notes?

Actually i forgot to rename the CPU.. i have 8320 actually..but at 8350 clocks..

anyway.. about ck kernel... there is not a huge difference... compiling times are like few seconds faster with piledriver optimized ck...

but what is important for me is that with ck the disk i/o thing is better...namely when i copy stuff with max speed from/to my system drives then my system behaves with normal speed, unlike with regular kernel scheduling
EKRboi Oct 24, 2014
Oh well, different CPU.. still an AMD brother!

I installed the CK-Piledriver kernel for ****s*n*giggles*. The I/O part sounds good to me as an SSD user. With my setup I can compile AOKP/Android for my phone and nexus 7 from a clean environment/no ccache in about 35-40 minutes and about 8-10 minutes with ccache depending on the amount of changes. Gonna do some benchmarking of I/O and android compiling tomorrow against the CK kernel and Arch's 3.17.1 and see if there is any difference.

EDIT* using gnome-disks benchmark it looks to be outperforming what I remember Arch/mainline doing. I don't have time to flip/flop between kernels right now but more tomorrow :D
Xpander Oct 29, 2014
ok, slightly more modified conky (the one EKRboi shared, thanks)

additions:
++Simplescreenrecorder info - to see recording in and out fps as well as resolution for the output
++Governor info - which cpu governor is activated (i like to switch to performance for gaming, gives small boost over ondemand, conservative when im idling at pc)
++backround - black and transparent

also new wallpaper.

this will hopefully stay for longer time :)
(this time only 2 monitors switched on, not 3)

**dropbox links gone**
EKRboi Nov 1, 2014
Oh sweet! I like the addition of the governor display and I have added it to my own! I've known how to change it(governor) but never took the time to when gaming.. I gained almost 10fps with Borderlands:TPS when switching to the performance gov. I feel kind of dumb for not thinking to do it sooner *DOH!*. At least now @ 5760x1080 I am above the "semi sweet spot" of 30fps most of the time and am more in the 35-45FPS range, when I was looking at 20-30 fps before.. WOW. Do the freq. schedulers for AMD procs just suck on linux? I would have thought I would have been at full speed when gaming... apparently not.

It's still not enough to get me to play the game in Linux seeing as how I get 60fps @ 5760x1080 (With PhysX cranked) all day long in windows.. but with a couple of performance patches from Aspyr I can see not needing windows for BL IF (a big IF) they update the PhysX engine in BL to the SDK ver released not long ago that enables GPU PhysX in Linux. Both Gearbox and Aspyr acknowledged it and while they said it may be more hassle than it's worth (to them) they were going to look into it. My fingers are crossed! Borderlands is THE franchise that actually uses Nvidia PhysX in a way that it is noticeable when it isn't there and you KNOW it should be.
Xpander Nov 1, 2014
Quoting: EKRboi....Do the freq. schedulers for AMD procs just suck on linux? I would have thought I would have been at full speed when gaming... apparently not.
I

they suck same for intel and last time i dealt with windows (back in 2010) it was problem there too.. AMD somewhere even stated that ondemand gives only 90% of the perf due to switching latency.
On linux you can also configure thresolds at what point it is going to push fullspeed ahead.
but the best way is to force to max so it wont start switching when something doesnt trigger anymore.

same thing with nvidia actually (probably not when 3 monitors enabled, since then its forced to higher clocks anyway).. some games sometimes trigger the performance levels badly and you switch between clocks sometimes and loosing some perf or having microstutter thanks to that.
Hamish Nov 2, 2014
And now it is time for November:

In keeping with my last screenshot I have once again selected two more Anime inspired wallpapers after I found some Neon Genesis Evangelion art that I rather took a fancy to. I also have a new battery icon due to a change in the Xfce Power Manager.
EKRboi Nov 9, 2014
Hey Xpander, so I got bored at about 2am this morning and decided to revisit the idea of being able to click things in conky. The lua route I tried before was just too buggy, with far too much overhead and not to mention over complicated. I did some digging and came up with THIS. Much simpler implementation and actually works very well using xdotool! So now I have working buttons on my pithos_conky and when I click on the governor display (stole the idea from you) on my sys_conky it runs a small shell script that switches between od and perf with sudo privs supplied by gksudo. I couldn't get it to work under openbox, xdotool does grab the coordinates but says "bad window" and doesn't give a window name.. but worked just fine with xfce and cinnamon.

What I really liked was that a single instance of the cclicky script can read multiple conky windows at a time, unlike the lua implementation. Opens up many new possibilities with conky.

EKRbois_conkys_11-9-14.tar.gz

Also. Thatsafy, I also really liked Edge of Tomorrow despite Mr. Cruise's track record as of late.

EDIT* and since I have not posted a screenshot of my openbox session I use for gaming, here it is

[
Xpander Nov 10, 2014
nice one... we should make a conky topic in those forums :) so we don't spam thisone with it.
i myself dont feel the need for it.. i have roccat ryos mk keyboard and i have macro buttons configured for chaning my governor, monitors and compton settings on fly :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.