You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
gtx 1080 on linux (gnome 3.26)
kalin commented on 29 November 2017 at 2:01 pm UTC

Hi,
For long time I wait to buy rx vega 56 and 4.15 to be released but current price of rx vega is not very compelling. For that reason I decide to buy gtx 1080 which I can take at same price as rx vega 56.
But i'm not sure how smooth will be the experience with proprietary drivers.
I'm manjaro (gnome 3.26) user I want to know is there any glitches or bug with gtx 1080 and proprietary drivers.
Also which games you are playing with that gpu and how well they behave
Users of gtx 1060 and 1070 are also welcome to share their opinion

ajgp commented on 29 November 2017 at 2:46 pm UTC

I have a GTX 1070 with the latest proprietary driver provided from Nvidia (via Manjaro Repo).

So far as I can tell I havent hit any bugs or problems, in fact I think the biggest issue currently is that Witcher 3 under wine apparently only utilises 50% of the GPU power. Havent tested myself though.

MartinPL commented on 29 November 2017 at 4:37 pm UTC

One of Nvidia problems in GNOME is animation smoothness - lag as hell.
There is mutter fix for this in AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mutter-781835-workaround/
But i disable animations anyway because i can't get 100% smoothness under semi-heavy usage.

kalin commented on 29 November 2017 at 7:22 pm UTC

MartinPLOne of Nvidia problems in GNOME is animation smoothness - lag as hell.
There is mutter fix for this in AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mutter-781835-workaround/
But i disable animations anyway because i can't get 100% smoothness under semi-heavy usage.

what are you using for compositing, x or wayland

kalin commented on 29 November 2017 at 7:22 pm UTC

ajgpI have a GTX 1070 with the latest proprietary driver provided from Nvidia (via Manjaro Repo).

So far as I can tell I havent hit any bugs or problems, in fact I think the biggest issue currently is that Witcher 3 under wine apparently only utilises 50% of the GPU power. Havent tested myself though.

what is your desktop environment and what are you using for compositing, x or wayland

ajgp commented on 30 November 2017 at 10:14 am UTC

kalin
ajgpI have a GTX 1070 with the latest proprietary driver provided from Nvidia (via Manjaro Repo).

what is your desktop environment and what are you using for compositing, x or wayland

I run cinnamon, I would expect its on X not wayland.

MartinPL commented on 30 November 2017 at 11:34 am UTC

Still using unkillable X

kalin commented on 30 November 2017 at 7:06 pm UTC

Thanks to both. I will wait 2 months before I decide what to do

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Official Livestreams
Community Livestreams
  • RPGoodness: "Dragon Age Origins" (via Wine)
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook