Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
gtx 1080 on linux (gnome 3.26)
kalin Nov 29, 2017
Hi,
For long time I wait to buy rx vega 56 and 4.15 to be released but current price of rx vega is not very compelling. For that reason I decide to buy gtx 1080 which I can take at same price as rx vega 56.
But i'm not sure how smooth will be the experience with proprietary drivers.
I'm manjaro (gnome 3.26) user I want to know is there any glitches or bug with gtx 1080 and proprietary drivers.
Also which games you are playing with that gpu and how well they behave
Users of gtx 1060 and 1070 are also welcome to share their opinion
Cmdr_Iras Nov 29, 2017
I have a GTX 1070 with the latest proprietary driver provided from Nvidia (via Manjaro Repo).

So far as I can tell I havent hit any bugs or problems, in fact I think the biggest issue currently is that Witcher 3 under wine apparently only utilises 50% of the GPU power. Havent tested myself though.
kalin Nov 29, 2017
Quoting: GuestOne of Nvidia problems in GNOME is animation smoothness - lag as hell.
There is mutter fix for this in AUR:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mutter-781835-workaround/
But i disable animations anyway because i can't get 100% smoothness under semi-heavy usage.

what are you using for compositing, x or wayland
kalin Nov 29, 2017
Quoting: ajgpI have a GTX 1070 with the latest proprietary driver provided from Nvidia (via Manjaro Repo).

So far as I can tell I havent hit any bugs or problems, in fact I think the biggest issue currently is that Witcher 3 under wine apparently only utilises 50% of the GPU power. Havent tested myself though.

what is your desktop environment and what are you using for compositing, x or wayland
Cmdr_Iras Nov 30, 2017
Quoting: kalin
Quoting: ajgpI have a GTX 1070 with the latest proprietary driver provided from Nvidia (via Manjaro Repo).

what is your desktop environment and what are you using for compositing, x or wayland

I run cinnamon, I would expect its on X not wayland.
kalin Nov 30, 2017
Thanks to both. I will wait 2 months before I decide what to do
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.