Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
RX 580 Overheating
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
GustyGhost Jan 24, 2018
Quoting: XpanderMaybe someone else, who owns AMD GPUs can point you to software to check temps

Super late reply but OP try out the GUI sensor monitors xsensors and psensor.
DaiKaiser93 Jan 30, 2018
Quoting: GustyGhost
Quoting: XpanderMaybe someone else, who owns AMD GPUs can point you to software to check temps

Super late reply but OP try out the GUI sensor monitors xsensors and psensor.

Sorry for the late reply, xsensors worked, my GPU reaches 75°C, the thing is even when playing something like The Original Strife: Veteran Edition it gets hot, as if when in use the GPU automatically goes full blast.

Any ideas, guys?
Xpander Jan 30, 2018
try libstrangle to limit your FPS.
Some simple games may run like 700-1000 FPS and make the GPU go full blast. Libstrangle can limit the fps without causing input lag like vsync does.
DaiKaiser93 Jan 31, 2018
Quoting: Xpandertry libstrangle to limit your FPS.
Some simple games may run like 700-1000 FPS and make the GPU go full blast. Libstrangle can limit the fps without causing input lag like vsync does.
Thank you! worked like a charm, while playing it was running cool as ice, quick questing: is there a way to automate the process?

Again, thank's a bunch!
Xpander Jan 31, 2018
i haven't tested this but in theory you can add this to your /etc/environment
this will make everything limited to said framerate, but i dunno if it works that way
or start your steam with it (haven't tested that either)
DaiKaiser93 Jan 31, 2018
Quoting: Xpanderi haven't tested this but in theory you can add this to your /etc/environment
this will make everything limited to said framerate, but i dunno if it works that way

The thing is... I don't use Steam, I guess I'll have to add the command to the shortcut of the games that need it
M@GOid Feb 21, 2018
Quoting: DaiKaiser93
Quoting: Xpanderi haven't tested this but in theory you can add this to your /etc/environment

The thing is... I don't use Steam, I guess I'll have to add the command to the shortcut of the games that need it

The game did not have Vsync? That alone will make the game run at your monitor refresh.

Also, did you check if one of the fans of the card is not working? Your case seems big and well ventilated, I have run a RX470 on a case with only a single 120mm fan on the exhaust and nothing overheat, even with a room temperature of 31°C/88°F. I ask that because my Sapphire card got a damaged fan (mea culpa...) and that make the card overheat, but took me a while to notice it. Since even the knockoff replacement fans cost a lot of money, the simple solution to me was to fix a 90mm case fan on the place of the defective one on the card, and now things are really cool.
DaiKaiser93 Feb 21, 2018
Quoting: M@GOid
Quoting: DaiKaiser93

The game did not have Vsync? That alone will make the game run at your monitor refresh.

Also, did you check if one of the fans of the card is not working? Your case seems big and well ventilated, I have run a RX470 on a case with only a single 120mm fan on the exhaust and nothing overheat, even with a room temperature of 31°C/88°F. I ask that because my Sapphire card got a damaged fan (mea culpa...) and that make the card overheat, but took me a while to notice it. Since even the knockoff replacement fans cost a lot of money, the simple solution to me was to fix a 90mm case fan on the place of the defective one on the card, and now things are really cool.

Nah, the fans are working, that's the first thing I checked, after I started to use libstrangle the overheathing was gone
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.