Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
I have opened a Change.org to ask CDProjektRed to open a kickstarter to get funds for porting Witcher 3 for linux.
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Alm888 Mar 13, 2018
I'm sorry, but I am personally strongly against such petitions. No matter what, I will not beg for port, especially such late to the party and largely irrelevant by now (everyone who wanted, played the game already on Windows, and everyone stubborn enough to resist the urge is… well, stubborn and will not get to his/hers knees to plead to the developer).

CDPR decided it will be better to not make Linux port, so we should at least acknowledge and respect theirs decision, IMHO.
Shmerl Mar 13, 2018
Quoting: Alm888everyone who wanted, played the game already in Wine

Fixed that for you ;) However despite good progress, some bugs still plague Wine with it, so it's not quite 100% playable yet. And no, I don't buy the argument "everyone has played it on Windows" regarding Linux users. That's what Blizzard CEO said, and he was wrong. That's not to say that reaction on his response was appropriate, but he was wrong nevertheless.
Shmerl Mar 13, 2018
Quoting: Alm888CDPR decided it will be better to not make Linux port, so we should at least acknowledge and respect theirs decision, IMHO.

I see no point to respect failed promises though, or cancellations which weren't even properly communicated. So for all intents and purposes, CDPR still have to live up to their "coming to Linux" claim.
Avehicle7887 Mar 13, 2018
Signed, because like many people I would love to see this game officially released on Linux. To be honest though (not pessimist) I don't see this changing CDPR's mind much, they haven't shown any interest regarding Linux in recent times, so I don't see them allocating part of their staff to a Linux version. Maybe outsourcing it to Feral is doable.

If they contributed to Wine and dxvk with the money collected, then it would be an easier job as much of the work has already been accounted for.
tony1ab Mar 13, 2018
@tuubi: I will post something in reddit at later moment, but I dont have twitter. Please, If someone with Twitter can post it there, it would be a help. About the new petition. Want to know something? It was the valiant effort of Shmerl on CD Projekt's forums asking them directly to port the game in the wishes forum, and the heroic interest Liamdawe did on his wiki article, which contains the entire chronology of the developers saying the first 3 years they were making it, and then saying not, contacting them several times, which inspired me to do this. I just wanted to add a final chapter to that chronology: 'And finally, the game was released in Linux'. What I didn't expect from Liam is that he thinks with those prejudices. No one can accuse me of what others did in a different issue.

@Shmerl: I chose kickstarter as an example, because it's more popular . Well. It doesn't have to be limited to it. In fact, CDProjekt would be who has the last word in which platform they preffer the funds come from.

@jaycee: The extended support could be included by them, in the planification of funds they need. Also, do you have to pay a license to develop a game for linux? I don't think so. Am I wrong?

And other thing: Some day, you will try to enter on a restaurant, and the chief of the restaurant will say to you: 'Sorry sir. But we have had an story with people. Some human before you, entered the restaurant, and began to shout, and break everything. Therefore, we won't let more humans to enter the restaurant, because we fear you do the same. You will see then how it feels. (Worst metaphere ever, I know). I have not proven anything, just for defending myself.

@g000h: Funny thing is, that according to the chronology of the article posted by Liamdawe, they answered across the first three years, several times, that they were making it. They have some work done. And for Kingdom come, Batman: AK and SF:5, have patience. We must conquer the world one step at a time.

@Alm888: I will be more happy if my mind internally translate your reply as: 'I have signed the petition. Let's going to make it!!!'. So, thanks for your support, Alm888, you're the best!!!!

One last word for everyone. I posted this inside the new it wasn't published, therefore you all don't know it. If this petition fails, I have two more plans in the backstage ongoing to achieve the goal.

One is to draw a great, very well done unnoficial comic, in which Geralt fights for the game to be released on Linux, against a lot of trolls, goblins and monsters, who says the game must stay only in windows. With that comic, I think I will enlight the heart of CDProjekt (if the problem is the bad emotions for what happened with Witcher 2, with the bad feedback).

The other one one (this was on the article), is to manage to become millonarie by any means, and then donate CDProjekt a couple millons to do it. I hope not to have to use this plan.
Shmerl Mar 13, 2018
Quoting: tony1ab@g000h: Funny thing is, that according to the chronology of the article posted by Liamdawe, they answered across the first three years, several times

Just for the reference, it wasn't written by Liam.
m2mg2 Mar 13, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl

Fixed that for you ;) However despite good progress, some bugs still plague Wine with it, so it's not quite 100% playable yet. And no, I don't buy the argument "everyone has played it on Windows" regarding Linux users. That's what Blizzard CEO said, and he was wrong. That's not to say that reaction on his response was appropriate, but he was wrong nevertheless.

I have not played it, will not play it in Windows or Wine. Will buy it in a heartbeat if it were ported.
Alm888 Mar 14, 2018
Fixed that for you ;)
Hmm… Didn't know it is playable in WINE. Can I play it on my "GeForce GTX 650"? (I know, it lists 660 as bare minimum)
I do not participate in your neat topic, but I keep an eye on it, and last time I checked even "working" super-ultra-custom-hyperpatched WINE-staging gave laughable FPS even on current top-tier cards.

Quoting: ShmerlHowever despite good progress, some bugs still plague Wine with it, so it's not quite 100% playable yet.
That is no sell in my dictionary.

Quoting: ShmerlAnd no, I don't buy the argument "everyone has played it on Windows" regarding Linux users. That's what Blizzard CEO said, and he was wrong. That's not to say that reaction on his response was appropriate, but he was wrong nevertheless.
If one absolutely have to, then (s)he will use Windows no regardless of personal opinion. W3 requires Windows to play (or consoles, but let's stick to PC) so there is no 3rd option: either use Windows or don't play Witcher 3. That's hard truth. And I did not say "everyone has played it on Windows", I said everyone who wanted that bad. Personally I've chosen the later bacause I'm of the "stubborn" kind. :D

Quoting: Alm888CDPR decided it will be better to not make Linux port, so we should at least acknowledge and respect theirs decision, IMHO.
I see no point to respect failed promises though, or cancellations which weren't even properly communicated. So for all intents and purposes, CDPR still have to live up to their "coming to Linux" claim.
The point is not to be like a spoiled child throwing tantrum just becouse mom did not buy a candy. Sometimes a NO is a NO and we have to accept it. We can not win every battle, let's concentrate on those we have a chance to win instead of battling a lost cause.

CDPR is a lost cause for me, so I see no point in continuous begging.

Quoting: tony1ab@Alm888: I will be more happy if my mind internally translate your reply as: 'I have signed the petition. Let's going to make it!!!'. So, thanks for your support, Alm888, you're the best!!!!
Sorry to disappoint you, but I loath false promises, no matter which side uses them. And since I am definitely not participating in this theorethical Kickstarter campaign of your's, there will be no meaningless sign from me.
No hard feelings, OK?
Shmerl Mar 14, 2018
Quoting: Alm888last time I checked even "working" super-ultra-custom-hyperpatched WINE-staging gave laughable FPS even on current top-tier cards.

Framerate is very good with dxvk, but it still needs some features to render correctly. It will get there eventually.
jens Mar 14, 2018
  • Supporter
Regarding the mentioned alternative, not my cup of thee, I'm not into wine gaming. But that said I guess your chances are much better when sponsoring dxvk directly.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.