Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[SOLVED] Connecting Wii Remote Plus on Ubuntu for Dolphin
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Linuxwarper Mar 26, 2018
SOLUTION OR WHAT IS BELIEVED TO BE: The bluetooth dongle, Hama 49218, does not work with Dolphin for bluetooth. Nor emulator or passthrough.
Initially I did not have access to bluetooth passthrough because I was using stable version of Dolphin, when you needed to be on development branch.

ORIGINAL POST
After several attempts to connect Wii Remote Plus to Dolphin I have come to ask for help:

- Checkbox success (for dongle)
- Successfully sent image and video from pc to smartphone with Bluetooth. Could not send image or video from phone to pc though.
- Sucessfully connected Beats headset with bluetooth dongle

- Followed Dolphin site, stated no additional things needed for Linux for controller to work. Set controller settings to real wiimote with continuous scanning

- Controller worked fine using a Windows laptop. There was a issue with movement not working right during Wii Resort games, where the pointer disappeared or did not move properly with motion, making it difficult to point and press A to start a match/game. Past that point the motion worked well enough to play the games with it. Worked just fine with Super Mario game even the motion features in the game. Not to say it didn't in Wii Resort but during menus and similar the motion did not work well or at all.

- Pressed both 1+2 and Sync when trying to connect/pair wiimote to bluetooth manager of Ubuntu and during and after game start when in Dolphin.
- As I had both bluetooth 2.0 and 3.0 on pc, I tried different ports to see. Successfully found the wiimote under "joypad" with 2.0 but not with 3.0 ports.
- Selected wiimote in the list of discovered devices, plugged into a 2.0 usb port, but the "next" button is greyed out not allowing to progress the connection/pairing.

Any suggestions on what else I can test to troubleshoot the issue? Thanks

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

EDIT:
Controller is found but is not paired. I believe the reason it is not picked up in Dolphin is because it's not paired up with PC. On Windows I had to pair up the control for it to work in Dolphin.
https://imgur.com/a/sXDoy
whizse Mar 26, 2018
Debian user here.

I have an original Wiimote (third party sensor bar) working fine with Dolphin.

I have never set it up using the systems Bluetooth settings. Only directly through Dolphin. (Start Dolphin, set it to scan, set controller to sync)

The only problem I've had is having to re-sync the controller every time I restart Dolphin.
Linuxwarper Mar 26, 2018
Quoting: whizseDebian user here.

I have an original Wiimote (third party sensor bar) working fine with Dolphin.

I have never set it up using the systems Bluetooth settings. Only directly through Dolphin. (Start Dolphin, set it to scan, set controller to sync)

The only problem I've had is having to re-sync the controller every time I restart Dolphin.
I've tried that, does not work. Thanks for input though :)

EDIT: It's a wii remote plus not original. Dolphin help says it should work fine without any additional software on Linux.
whizse Mar 27, 2018
More guesses/suggestions:

Dolphin should handle the pairing itself, have you tried removing it from the list of previously attached devices in Ubuntu before launching Dolphin?

Is there a difference if you press the sync button instead of 1 and 2 (I'm guessing the Plus controller still got one?)

If that fails, it might work better with direct pass-through?
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Bluetooth_Passthrough

Might be wonky Linux drivers for your particular Bluetooth controller.

Scratch what I wrote previously. I'm actually using passthrough myself, forgot I had it set up. But it does seem to be working fine here, so it's probably worth a shot for you too:
Linuxwarper Mar 27, 2018
Quoting: whizseMore guesses/suggestions:

Dolphin should handle the pairing itself, have you tried removing it from the list of previously attached devices in Ubuntu before launching Dolphin?

Is there a difference if you press the sync button instead of 1 and 2 (I'm guessing the Plus controller still got one?)

If that fails, it might work better with direct pass-through?

Might be wonky Linux drivers for your particular Bluetooth controller.

Scratch what I wrote previously. I'm actually using passthrough myself, forgot I had it set up. But it does seem to be working fine here, so it's probably worth a shot for you too:
Do you have a Wii Remote Plus as well or is it a standard Wiimote? (Will give passthrough a go now)

EDIT: I need to install a udev rule. Have no idea what that is and what I do with the line of code for the rule that Dolphin has provided.

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="YOURVID", ATTRS{idProduct}=="YOURPID", TAG+="uaccess"
tuubi Mar 28, 2018
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/Data/51-usb-device.rules

Try copying that file into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and then running sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Might be that the vendor and product id need to be adjusted if you've got third party hardware. I don't have the hardware so I can't test any of this.
whizse Mar 28, 2018
Find the VID and PID with lsusb

Put the rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/52-dolphin.rules

Reload the udev rules sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Unplug/plug in the bluetooth adapter.

(Might be easier to just reboot after adding the rule)
whizse Mar 28, 2018
Quoting: tuubihttps://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/Data/51-usb-device.rules

Try copying that file into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and then running sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Might be that the vendor and product id need to be adjusted if you've got third party hardware. I don't have the hardware so I can't test any of this.
So, that file should already be shipped with Dolphin (at least in the Debian package).

I think that file is for the GC adapter and Dolphinbar. Bluetooth passthrough gives Dolphin exclusive access to the Bluetooth dongle.
Linuxwarper Apr 1, 2018
Quoting: whizseFind the VID and PID with lsusb

Put the rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/52-dolphin.rules

Reload the udev rules sudo udevadm control --reload-rules

Unplug/plug in the bluetooth adapter.

(Might be easier to just reboot after adding the rule)
I copied the rule and added VID and PID values where rule says I should add it. I removed the YOURVID (in "YOURVID") and pasted what I believe was VID based on output from lsusb (X:Y output).

Restarted computer, launched Dolphin and looked for Bluetooth passthrough option per Dolphin instructions. Did not find that. Tried syncing controller after starting game, did not work. Ran the command to reload udev rules, no effect after that either.

NOTE: I did additional testing, bluetooth dongle connected successfully to a bluetooth beats headset. So the bluetooth functionality works even though it may not be 100% optimal (volume could be higher?).

EDIT:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="YOURVID", ATTRS{idProduct}=="YOURPID", TAG+="uaccess"
^ Am I to remove the text YOURVID and YOURPID and replace them with value from lsusb? Nothing further needed to change before saving the text as a .rules file?
whizse Apr 1, 2018
Sounds like you did everything correctly. Not sure what else to try. You'll probably have to ask on the dolphin mailing lists/forums.
Linuxwarper Apr 1, 2018
Thanks to everyone who pitched in to help me. The issue has not been resolved but I will continue to struggle with it on my own and on Dolphin forums. I greatly appreciate the help. It's for a toddler, that I am doing this for by the way.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.