Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
[solved] Steam Controller not working with (Feral?) games (again...)
donbastiano May 27, 2018
Hi, the steam controller is not working with different games. For instance in Life is S... :) I had to deactivate the steam overlay but after that the controller is saw but as a keyboard+mouse. Same thing with Mad Max and probably, because the controller is not working anymore, with Deus Ex, Shadow of Mordor and F1 2015. In Tomb Raider and Rise of, it is working fine. I think is only with some Feral game, I tested with other and it is ok.

Maybe the problem is with the latest steam or firmware update, I tried with the beta and, back to stable, I tried to change the udev rule as time ago but it is the same. I use the controller only on USB on Unity on Ubuntu 18.04 (4.15.0-22-generic), no ppa.

Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestion?
nox May 27, 2018
What controller profile is being used for the games you are having issues with?
Is there any difference when using Big Picture?

EDIT:
Tested Mad Max on my kubuntu 18.04 install and it works flawlessly with the steam controller (latest updates for it and steam).
So, it doesn't seem like it's broken across the board, thankfully.
Schattenspiegel May 27, 2018
Steam overlay needs to be enabled in order to allow switching of profiles - you could probably work around it by defining a proper joypad profile instead of the keyboard/mouse combo in the steam-controller options as the standard.
Otherwise you might want to try this little programm instead https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller
donbastiano May 28, 2018
I'm using the default profile, and I forgot to say that there is no difference with Big Picture. I thought it was the steam update because not so long ago, but actually I was still on 17.10, I used without problem the controller also with these games.

If I leave the overlay enabled the controller is not working at all while in the game. I'm not sure about enable the overlay to switch the profile, I tried with overlay off and the most popular community profile but it is still saw as mouse+keyboard.

Ok, maybe I have to try the sc-controller, generally I don't install things that aren't on the official repository but in this case...

Thank you
Schattenspiegel May 28, 2018
Quoting: donbastianoIf I leave the overlay enabled the controller is not working at all while in the game. I'm not sure about enable the overlay to switch the profile, I tried with overlay off and the most popular community profile but it is still saw as mouse+keyboard.

When the steam overlay is deactivated the controller stays on the settings for desktop(keyboard/mouse) or big picture (some very restricted profile for navigating the menu)
and does not change to the game profiles when starting a game.

If you want to use it in a game without steamoverlay you need to change the desktop profile to your desired configuration for the game (steam - settings - controller - desktop konfiguration : select your desired profile)
If you want to use big picture you probably need to change the big picture settings aswell in the same menu.
donbastiano Jun 13, 2018
I made a fresh install of 18.04 and apparently nothing changed. Don't know if it was the real "solution" but I ended trying in wireless mode after a lot of time (and then back also in wired) and now I'm eagerly waiting for before the storm :)
nox Jun 13, 2018
Do you have steam-devices installed?
donbastiano Jun 14, 2018
I was a little cryptic: the steam controller was recognized after I used it in wireless mode, at the moment I don't have any problem with it and I was able to complete (and appreciate) the game.
Steam-devices was always installed, thank you, and I updated the title with the "solved" tag, sorry.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.