Discord
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
razing32 Aug 26, 2019
So glad i setup a TeamSpeak server for me and my friends and threw discord in the trash.
ThePythonicCow Aug 26, 2019
Above I suggested:
QuoteSo ... question for snap experts. Could the Discord snap be packaged with a fake "/proc" file system, that contained exactly one entry, an empty directory "/proc/1", owned by uid 65535 (nobody)? I'd wager that Discord would cease flooding my log files with these error messages.
This suggestion of mine fails. Discord has additional expectations on certain entries under /proc and elsewhere in snap's "core" and "snapd" runtime.

Discord also expects to examine the read the symlink "/proc/self/exe", to see by what name it was invoked.

Such examination of /proc/self/exe is fairly common in Linux, allowing a single binary executable file to behave differently, depending on what name it was called when executed.

I hacked around that /proc/self/exe symlink problem, then hit another problem. Discord expected to read /proc/self/mountinfo in order to "determine nfs usage in generateSystemKey" (quoting its error message.)

I hacked around that.

I then got an error system_key.go:142: cannot determine seccomp compiler version in generateSystemKey: fork/exec /snap/snapd/current/usr/lib/snapd/snap-seccomp: no such file or directory

I hacked around that.

I then got an error system_key.go:142: cannot determine seccomp compiler version in generateSystemKey: invalid version-info length: "2c4cf1ac0f802f4eb72a2ae972b18425228c8510 2.4.1 8c73f36d3de1f71977107bf6687514f16787f639058b4db4c67b28dfdb2fd3af bpf-actlog"

I then gave up.

Perhaps I will next try running Discord inside a virtual machine, that I can setup just to keep Discord happy (and deprive it of the opportunity to spy on what else I run on my system.)
Apparition_B5 Aug 26, 2019
Quoting: razing32So glad i setup a TeamSpeak server for me and my friends and threw discord in the trash.

I wish I could do the same, but my friends and acquaintances absolutely insist on Discord and won't bother trying anything else because "everyone else uses Discord and it just works."
Ehvis Aug 26, 2019
I setup Discord in its own user. That user has no access to anything but it's own empty user. I revoked all rights to see the process list (except its own). Added advantage. If I click a link, firefox starts as the "discord" user and it's set up in full privacy+wipe mode. Nothing to see, nothing to log.

Took quite a bit of doing because Ubuntu is not really set up for multi-user privacy.
razing32 Aug 27, 2019
Quoting: Apparition_B5
Quoting: razing32So glad i setup a TeamSpeak server for me and my friends and threw discord in the trash.

I wish I could do the same, but my friends and acquaintances absolutely insist on Discord and won't bother trying anything else because "everyone else uses Discord and it just works."

True
I could say the same about my friends using Windows.
Then they laugh when i can;t get a game to run in wine.
I did manage to convince them to use Teamspeak.
But i do shoulder the cost of 5$/month for a droplet on digital ocean
Cyril Aug 27, 2019

FFS that statement... I really empathize with you. It's a pain in the ass.

Quoting: razing32True

Teamspeak is popular too, at last It was some years ago I think, but too bad it's proprietary.
I suppose you and your friends use it mainly for vocals, what about other software like Mumble for example?

But the real question is: how did you convinced them?! :D
razing32 Aug 27, 2019
Quoting: Cyril

FFS that statement... I really empathize with you. It's a pain in the ass.

Quoting: razing32True

Teamspeak is popular too, at last It was some years ago I think, but too bad it's proprietary.
I suppose you and your friends use it mainly for vocals, what about other software like Mumble for example?

But the real question is: how did you convinced them?! :D

Have not tried Mumble but may give a shot at installing Murmur. Hope my minimal droplet can handle it .
As for convincing them , there was a small scandal a little while ago where it was revelead that supposedly some Discord staff were furries and were tollerating certain "videos" between humans and non humans being shared through discord.
FBI was apparently involved.

It also helped that the server was made and paid for by me and i maintain it so all they had to do was download the client and connect.
Think we used team speak and skype in the past before discord.
Also some friends did have some bad disconnects with discord.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.