Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
RIP - Microsoft buys Github
devnull commented on 3 June 2018 at 10:55 pm UTC
Patola commented on 4 June 2018 at 4:45 am UTC

import to gitlab like everyone else. :-) https://monitor.gitlab.net/dashboard/db/github-importer?orgId=1

nox commented on 4 June 2018 at 11:32 am UTC

Already started moving things over when github started doing their social justice thing, glad more are to follow now

tuubi commented on 4 June 2018 at 12:54 pm UTC

I thought we all already abandoned github in favour of gitlab because gitlab is simply better.

Don't know what "social justice thing" nox might be referring to, but I don't really care.

nox commented on 4 June 2018 at 1:39 pm UTC

tuubiDon't know what "social justice thing" nox might be referring to, but I don't really care.
I think it was in 2015, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about it all. But to what I remember they added guidelines for how to behave, which had some interesting points. Like, repeatedly using the wrong gender for someone would be considered harassment, the word "hug" if directed at someone would also be considered harassment. I also seem to remember that they were deleting some projects with bad words in their title.

That was enough for me to look for alternatives.

Note: I do not want to start a discussion about if it's bad or good, or anything related to it - just wanted to put down what I remember happening.

razing32 commented on 4 June 2018 at 2:47 pm UTC

nox
tuubiDon't know what "social justice thing" nox might be referring to, but I don't really care.
I think it was in 2015, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about it all. But to what I remember they added guidelines for how to behave, which had some interesting points. Like, repeatedly using the wrong gender for someone would be considered harassment, the word "hug" if directed at someone would also be considered harassment. I also seem to remember that they were deleting some projects with bad words in their title.

Note: I do not want to start a discussion about if it's bad or good, or anything related to it - just wanted to put down what I remember happening.

Oh god.
I rember when FreeBSD said you can't send "hugs" anymore.
Is every project going completely "politically correct" now ?

nox commented on 4 June 2018 at 3:53 pm UTC

razing32
nox

Oh god.

*hugs*

devnull commented on 4 June 2018 at 4:05 pm UTC

razing32Oh god.

Going, being forced, being coerced, undermined.. any of them describe it yes. Was thinking about this the other day, it started more as a troll but turned into something out of a bastard religion. The methods they use to make these kinds of changes are straight out of Scientology and Muslim sects. That is, they use humiliation, witch hunts and mob justice as coercion. In github's case, one single company is able to decree things like "guidelines" across thousands if not hundreds of thousands of projections affecting millions of people .. with _zero_ oversight. They're able to shame and humiliate those who don't agree either so on one hand I'm glad Github will hopefully die. It's death though will be felt in everything from distros to enterprises with hosted github repos (Intel, IBM, Google, etc).

tl;DR - Yes, and it's asinine.

GustyGhost commented on 4 June 2018 at 7:11 pm UTC

noxAlready started moving things over when github started doing their social justice thing, glad more are to follow now

I did once already for the same reason but later migrated back to github to contribute to a project that was on there. Now I have to migrate back all over again.

tuubi commented on 4 June 2018 at 7:20 pm UTC

devnullThe methods they use to make these kinds of changes are straight out of Scientology and Muslim sects. That is, they use humiliation, witch hunts and mob justice as coercion.
As if it was a scientologist and/or muslim invention. You're just picking popular groups to blame for human behaviour at its basest. It's so easy to find examples of this in any relatively closed society where some people hold unchecked authority over others. You might recall all the news stories about exactly this happening in certain minor and extremely major christian sects for example.

But this is all off topic.

GustyGhost commented on 7 June 2018 at 2:31 pm UTC

GuestWould be nice if linux users stopped using steam and other valve products like they do with microsoft producs, because steam is not any different from windows, it spies you as well.

edit: another thing is that gitlab collaborates with Google Cloud Service, so using GitLab is bad as well...

Welcome to the .01% of the .1%. Good luck coaxing any gamers, let alone Linux gamers, away from Steam. There are a number of ways Steam can surveil you, only one of which Valve has recently addressed (betrayal of online/offline statuses (low hanging fruit)). I am afraid discussing any of these points would fall on deaf ears, here at GoL.

@edit: With Git hosting, it is not surveillance so much that should worry us, it is the dependency that one accepts from parties with possible mal-intent.

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Turn Around: „Shadowrun: Hong Kong“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts