Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
RIP - Microsoft buys Github
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
nox Jun 4, 2018
Already started moving things over when github started doing their social justice thing, glad more are to follow now :)
tuubi Jun 4, 2018
I thought we all already abandoned github in favour of gitlab because gitlab is simply better. :)

Don't know what "social justice thing" nox might be referring to, but I don't really care.
nox Jun 4, 2018
Quoting: tuubiDon't know what "social justice thing" nox might be referring to, but I don't really care.
I think it was in 2015, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about it all. But to what I remember they added guidelines for how to behave, which had some interesting points. Like, repeatedly using the wrong gender for someone would be considered harassment, the word "hug" if directed at someone would also be considered harassment. I also seem to remember that they were deleting some projects with bad words in their title.

That was enough for me to look for alternatives.

Note: I do not want to start a discussion about if it's bad or good, or anything related to it - just wanted to put down what I remember happening.:)
razing32 Jun 4, 2018
Quoting: nox
Quoting: tuubiDon't know what "social justice thing" nox might be referring to, but I don't really care.
I think it was in 2015, so my memory is a bit fuzzy about it all. But to what I remember they added guidelines for how to behave, which had some interesting points. Like, repeatedly using the wrong gender for someone would be considered harassment, the word "hug" if directed at someone would also be considered harassment. I also seem to remember that they were deleting some projects with bad words in their title.

Note: I do not want to start a discussion about if it's bad or good, or anything related to it - just wanted to put down what I remember happening.:)

Oh god.
I rember when FreeBSD said you can't send "hugs" anymore.
Is every project going completely "politically correct" now ?
nox Jun 4, 2018
Quoting: razing32
Quoting: nox

Oh god.

*hugs*
devnull Jun 4, 2018
Quoting: razing32Oh god.

Going, being forced, being coerced, undermined.. any of them describe it yes. Was thinking about this the other day, it started more as a troll but turned into something out of a bastard religion. The methods they use to make these kinds of changes are straight out of Scientology and Muslim sects. That is, they use humiliation, witch hunts and mob justice as coercion. In github's case, one single company is able to decree things like "guidelines" across thousands if not hundreds of thousands of projections affecting millions of people .. with _zero_ oversight. They're able to shame and humiliate those who don't agree either so on one hand I'm glad Github will hopefully die. It's death though will be felt in everything from distros to enterprises with hosted github repos (Intel, IBM, Google, etc).

tl;DR - Yes, and it's asinine.
GustyGhost Jun 4, 2018
Quoting: noxAlready started moving things over when github started doing their social justice thing, glad more are to follow now :)

I did once already for the same reason but later migrated back to github to contribute to a project that was on there. Now I have to migrate back all over again.
tuubi Jun 4, 2018
Quoting: devnullThe methods they use to make these kinds of changes are straight out of Scientology and Muslim sects. That is, they use humiliation, witch hunts and mob justice as coercion.
As if it was a scientologist and/or muslim invention. You're just picking popular groups to blame for human behaviour at its basest. It's so easy to find examples of this in any relatively closed society where some people hold unchecked authority over others. You might recall all the news stories about exactly this happening in certain minor and extremely major christian sects for example.

But this is all off topic.
GustyGhost Jun 7, 2018
Quoting: GuestWould be nice if linux users stopped using steam and other valve products like they do with microsoft producs, because steam is not any different from windows, it spies you as well.

edit: another thing is that gitlab collaborates with Google Cloud Service, so using GitLab is bad as well...

Welcome to the .01% of the .1%. Good luck coaxing any gamers, let alone Linux gamers, away from Steam. There are a number of ways Steam can surveil you, only one of which Valve has recently addressed (betrayal of online/offline statuses (low hanging fruit)). I am afraid discussing any of these points would fall on deaf ears, here at GoL.

@edit: With Git hosting, it is not surveillance so much that should worry us, it is the dependency that one accepts from parties with possible mal-intent.
tuubi Jun 7, 2018
Quoting: GuestThe thing with being linux gamer while using steam is that it doesn't make much difference if u use steam on linux or windows, it is still the same platform.
Oh but it does make a difference! That's like saying if you're going to drive a car, it doesn't matter which lane you're going to drive it on. Or, with less hyperbole, if you're going to run Firefox, if doesn't matter which operating system you run it on. I might not be able to trust all of my software, but I'd rather trust some of it than none.

(In case you're wondering, I'm not defending Valve's business model here. I'm not interested in discussing it either.)

Quoting: GuestIts same with devs now people gonna stop use github because Microsoft acquired them so they gonna start use gitlab that collabs with google, another corporate billionaire company, that does same practises that microsoft, collects and sell all data...

It seems like devs etc. have huge knowledge about coding, but they lack of basics like they gonna go to gitlab (google) from microsoft github and it's gonna make huge difference for them, gosh...
You must have missed the fact that gitlab is open source and can be self-hosted. You don't need to trust them with your data. Along with the fact that the company isn't owned by Google.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.