Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Speck (no not the german for ham)
razing32 Aug 5, 2018
https://itsfoss.com/nsas-encryption-algorithm-in-linux-kernel-is-creating-unease-in-the-community/

TL;DR - NSA encryption algorithm included in Linux kernel 4.17
Arch ALREADY allegedly uses it.

Anyone hear about this ? More details ?
Guppy Aug 6, 2018
Looks like NSA is pushing another DES - ie. a weak to moderately strong encryption they can already defeat themselves. Not sure why people are panicking though, it's just an option not a default and you can even black list if it you like.

Just to clarify - encryption that can be defeated by the "good guys" (or in the case of NSA organisations that self identifies as such) is a BAD idea, because the that same weakness will be exploited by people who are definitively NOT "good guys". And don't even get me started on the 'notting to hide' stupidity ;)
razing32 Aug 6, 2018
Quoting: GuppyAnd don't even get me started on the 'notting to hide' stupidity ;)

I saw a brilliant thing online as an answer to that.
"Do I have something to hide ? Yes EVERYTHING.
Do I have any reason to ? no."

Either everyone has privacy or nobody does.
Hope they pull this out of arch on 4.17.11-2
Otherwise will change distros.
Seems it is disabled by default , but i don;t want it in my kernel. This is what i see loaded in arch atm :
[razing@bluepyramid System]$ mkinitcpio -M
==> Modules autodetected
acpi_cpufreq
aesni_intel
ahci
amd64_edac_mod
crc32_pclmul
crc32c_intel
crct10dif_pclmul
eeepc_wmi
ehci_pci
evdev
ext4
fam15h_power
fjes
ghash_clmulni_intel
hid_generic
i2c_piix4
input_leds
joydev
k10temp
kvm_amd
mac_hid
mousedev
mxm_wmi
nouveau
nvidia
nvidia_drm
ohci_pci
pcc_cpufreq
pcspkr
r8169
rtc_cmos
sd_mod
shpchp
snd_hda_codec_hdmi
snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel
snd_usb_audio
sp5100_tco
sr_mod
usbcore
usbhid
wmi
wmi_bmof
xhci_pci
tonR Aug 6, 2018
On topic but not about Arch at all..

QuoteThe focus is on providing encryption on Android Go, an Android version tailored to run on entry-level smartphones. As of today, these devices are not encrypted because AES is not fast enough for the low-end devices.
How about optimized bloatware-free stock ROM with powerful and efficient GPL-complied ARM/any architecture chipsets instead?

Also, what's wrong with AES? Decades we're using AES encryption without much problems and now suddenly wheel need to be invented again? I cannot accept IoT excuses especially Moore's law are still alive, even do it severely aging.
Guppy Aug 7, 2018
Quoting: tonRAlso, what's wrong with AES? Decades we're using AES encryption without much problems and now suddenly wheel need to be invented again? I cannot accept IoT excuses especially Moore's law are still alive, even do it severely aging.

Good question - even the crappiest of the low end cpus ( MediaTek, et al. ) seem to have hardware AES. I guess it may simply eat up too much of the cpu to do full runtime en/de-cryption of all disc access with AES.
tonR Aug 7, 2018
Quoting: Guppy
Quoting: tonRAlso, what's wrong with AES? Decades we're using AES encryption without much problems and now suddenly wheel need to be invented again? I cannot accept IoT excuses especially Moore's law are still alive, even do it severely aging.

Good question - even the crappiest of the low end cpus ( MediaTek, et al. ) seem to have hardware AES.I guess it may simply eat up too much of the cpu to do full runtime en/de-cryption of all disc access with AES.
Or.. there's only one answer, and it's a open secret. You, me, anyone knows the answer. Even someone from deep down the jungle knows it (as long they watch tv/read newspaper).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.