Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Games where you can play as Undead
Nagezahn Sep 15, 2018
Hi,

I like playing as undead or with undead units, mostly strategy ones, but haven't seen a good new one for a while, so maybe you have some suggestions? The undead race in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was very much to my liking, also the units in the newer King's Bounty series had a nice flair to them. Not to forget Dungeon Keeper 2. I also had fun with Zombie Night Terror, though there's only zombies in it, no dark knights, vampires or liches. I know that Battle for Wesnoth has playable undead, but I haven't gotten into the game yet.

Considering this sub-forum's topic, I prefer games available as a native Linux build, but my hunger for human flesh pure souls games with proper playable undead might drive me to forbidden lands if needed. Also since the selection probably isn't too large, please list your favourite older games of this genre if I may call it so.

Have fun
g000h Sep 15, 2018
These ones might appeal to you...

Dungeon Warfare
MidBoss
Tomb of Tyrants
Three Dead Zed
Slain: Back from Hell
Overlord
Overlord II
Dying Light (with Play the Zombie mode)
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Goetia
Vampyr (Windows)
Idle Apocalypse (Android)

My own favourite games involving Undead / Zombies (but more YOU against them, rather than what you are asking for):

Dying Light
7 Days To Die
Dead Island definitive edition
Painkiller Hell and Damnation
Legend of Grimrock
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Ziggurat
Skyhill
Darkest Dungeon
Monster Slayers (Windows, Steam Play)
whizse Sep 15, 2018
I guess Dungeons 2 (and 3) if like something in the Dungeon Keeper style?
lucifertdark Sep 15, 2018
I'm not sure where you'd get it but "Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel without a Pulse" is a great game, it works perfectly with Wine.
razing32 Sep 16, 2018
Hero Siege
Grim Fandago
Dominions 4
Warlock - Master of the Arcane had Undead and Demons
Warlock 2 (you'll have more luck with Warlock 1 via wine , warlock 2 seems kinda broken on linux)
Disciples 1 and 2 had good Undead race - not sure how playable via wine.
Obscure game , but ... Hinterland - you can play as an undead Knight. (it adds funny descriptions , skeleton enemies become "crunchy" and so on)
Nagezahn Sep 18, 2018
Thanks for your suggestions, some of them are already part of my library, the rest I haven't had the time to properly look into each of them yet.

I have "Dungeon Warfare" on my wishlist for some time now, what kind of undead can you play in this game? Couldn't find out on myself. "Dungeons 2" I played through once, wasn't aware that there is an undead DLC out, might give it a try.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.