You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Navi , Polaris succesor to launch on Q3 2019
Page: «5/9»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombieinteresting do Ryzen 2nd gen a 1st gen support PCIE 4 in theory? suppose I throw that CPU into a new motherboard?

I think you'd need the upcoming Zen 2 to get PCIe 4, even if older motherboard can handle it. That controller is in the CPU.
Shmerl May 27, 2019
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14406/amd-reveals-the-x570-chipset-pcie-4-is-here

They mention X470 supporting PCIe 4 in a limited way. Not sure about X370. Another point is increased TDP of the X570 chipset which requires active cooling. Sounds like more noise is coming.
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: chancho_zombieinteresting do Ryzen 2nd gen a 1st gen support PCIE 4 in theory? suppose I throw that CPU into a new motherboard?

I think you'd need the upcoming Zen 2 to get PCIe 4, even if older motherboard can handle it. That controller is in the CPU.

I don't care about the motherboard frankly, is the cheapest part of a PC. I think I bought this B350 for about 150usd and it's an excellent motherboard, I still supposedly can put a ryzen 3900x on this if AMD keeps their promise.
Shmerl May 27, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombieI don't care about the motherboard frankly, is the cheapest part of a PC.

They are not really cheap, if you get good quality ones, which is necessary if you want to run your RAM at 3200 MHz or so.
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: chancho_zombieI don't care about the motherboard frankly, is the cheapest part of a PC.

Not really cheap, if you get good quality one, which is necessary if you want to run your RAM at 3200 MHz or so.

yes that's true I think I can run upto 2600 mhz on this. Could be interesting if the B370 supports PCIE 4, could become a cheap way to update to ryzen 3 and PCIE 4, since there is plenty stock of those.
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
too bad they are not announcing the rx580 equivalent, I bet they won't release it till next year. I had high hopes, but reading some tech analysts, the rx570 and the rx580, can still compete with some lower end GTX. At first glance it looked as Navi was going to be a game changer in the mid-range segment. I just don't update stuff every year, and I thought updating only one tier up would be not worthy. But given the fact that AM4 platform still looks like having a promising future (remember it was only going to be supported till 2020), I don't see why Polaris can't still have _some_ future ahead.
A 200/250 usd navi is looking less likely as time passes.
Shmerl May 27, 2019
I think Navi will be a game changer in two aspects. First, hopefully performance will be very competitive with Nvidia. And second, those cards won't be crazy hard to buy and not for crazy prices. So may be AMD adoption on Linux will accelerate.

If you are happy with Polaris - no need to upgrade yet. I plan to get Navi to use a better monitor (2.5K / 144Hz Freesync).
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI think Navi will be a game changer in two aspects. First, hopefully performance will be very competitive with Nvidia. And second, those cards won't be crazy hard to buy and not for crazy prices. So may be AMD adoption on Linux will accelerate.

If you are happy with Polaris - no need to upgrade yet. I plan to get Navi to use a better monitor (2.5K / 144Hz Freesync).
some tech analysts are saying something different that high prices are here to stay.
Shmerl May 27, 2019
I think high prices were due to cryptocurrency rush. It's over now, so they shouldn't be inflated anymore.
Koopacabras May 27, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI think Navi will be a game changer in two aspects. First, hopefully performance will be very competitive with Nvidia. And second, those cards won't be crazy hard to buy and not for crazy prices. So may be AMD adoption on Linux will accelerate.

yes that's what I'm talking about Navi is aiming at 4k or 2k. I think that polaris will still be supported by game developers for some years ahead, cause it works really well on 1080p.

I think that polaris 470/480 will be the entry level gpu for top AAA games for 2 or 3 years ahead.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.