Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
what driver for amd HD-6320/e-450 ?
Guppy Oct 30, 2018
My son want's to try to build his own computer to play modded java-minecraft, acording to minecraft.net this requires opengl 4.4.

I have an old Asus e450 AGPU board sitting in a closet that we might be able to use, but I simply cannot understand the current system for amd drivers, nor find any information about the supported opengl version for cards.

Does anyone know, or can point me towards some better information?
beniwtv Oct 30, 2018
That appears to be an AMD Radeon™ HD 6320, which is a Terascale 2 chip, so whatever driver comes with your up-to-date distro (i.e. Mesa)
Hamish Oct 30, 2018
Yeah, I use a Radeon HD 6870 and can say your best bet is the drivers any modern Linux distribution will ship with by default. You are probably limited to OpenGL 3.3 though.
Guppy Oct 30, 2018
Thanks
Guppy Nov 1, 2018
Follow-up question; would a r5 340x be worth it? I can for the life of med figure out amds naming scheme but I think it capable of OpenGL 4.5 with Mesa.

The alternative would be a gtx 560 ti and a new psu but I'm kind of keen on trying a amd card
lucinos Nov 1, 2018
Quoting: GuppyFollow-up question; would a r5 340x be worth it? I can for the life of med figure out amds naming scheme but I think it capable of OpenGL 4.5 with Mesa.

The alternative would be a gtx 560 ti and a new psu but I'm kind of keen on trying a amd card

I do not know, but if you want to use amdgpu it would be best if you get gcn 3rd gen or later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units
Samsai Nov 1, 2018
Quoting: GuppyFollow-up question; would a r5 340x be worth it? I can for the life of med figure out amds naming scheme but I think it capable of OpenGL 4.5 with Mesa.

Those ultra low tier GPUs are basically never worth it. They are essentially glorified display adapters with some "features" but the cards are too slow to use any of those features. My recommendation for an AMD GPU would be to pick up something relatively new in the lower gaming tier, such as an R7 260/360 or RX 460/560. Those GPUs should be quite compatible with the newer driver stack, have meaningful support for OpenGL 4.5 and offer a bit more capability when that modded Minecraft turns into some other game.
Guppy Nov 2, 2018
Found a cheap MSI R9 380 4G - which seems to be on par with my gtx 970 oO.

Ofcourse I will need a much beefier psu for that as the current 350w one would most likely die screaming..

Now as far as I can tell the consensus is a "good" 500W should do the trick, would a CORSAIR VS Series VS550 "550W 80 Plus" ( CP-9020097-EU ) work ? or would it be a better option to go with a unknown brand with a higher wattage, eg. Tagan SuperRock Series TG1000-U33II which claims to be a "1000W 80 Plus bronze"

(Both PSUs would be brand new)

Ps. hope it's okay for me to draw on the hivemind like this, I'm *way* out of my comfort zone here, haven't build amd/ati setups in about 10 years
Samsai Nov 2, 2018
Quoting: GuppyFound a cheap MSI R9 380 4G - which seems to be on par with my gtx 970 oO.

Ofcourse I will need a much beefier psu for that as the current 350w one would most likely die screaming..

Now as far as I can tell the consensus is a "good" 500W should do the trick, would a CORSAIR VS Series VS550 "550W 80 Plus" ( CP-9020097-EU ) work ? or would it be a better option to go with a unknown brand with a higher wattage, eg. Tagan SuperRock Series TG1000-U33II which claims to be a "1000W 80 Plus bronze"

(Both PSUs would be brand new)

Ps. hope it's okay for me to draw on the hivemind like this, I'm *way* out of my comfort zone here, haven't build amd/ati setups in about 10 years
Don't go cheapo brand on PSUs. Generally a good quality but lower wattage PSU will do and the worst thing that can happen is it just doesn't have enough watts to power the system. Meanwhile if you go for a weirdo high wattage PSU you might just end up blowing up the entire system.
beniwtv Nov 2, 2018
I second Samsai, also a good 500W I think should be enough.
Guppy Nov 8, 2018
Figured I'd do an update.

The e450 that originally sparked this, even with a SSD it was just painfully slow on the desktop - it may have gotten faster with a dedicated GFX card but I bartered my way to a used office pc.

Ended up with
  • i5 2500 (non k - but then I've never overclocked my own so... )

• 8 gig of ram

• 600W EVGA 80+ psu

• Asus p8H67M motherboard

• RX 380 4G

• 128G M4 SSD

The astute observer will notice it's using a 1080O Medium, not extrem profile - not sure why that is I'll have a look at it later.

Overall it runs really, really well - and not having to deal with drivers manually is enough that I think I'll go AMD for my next gfx card :D

Only thing that went wrong in this build was the ram - it came with the ram modules in A1(black) & B1(blue), the manual (and my personal experience) says it should be in same coloured slots. How ever moving a ram block the system refused to boot
Q: I'm thinking maybe that's only true for "paried" modules, or should I be hitting the "everything is fine, ignore ram errors" button?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.