Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Survival crafting games for younger kids?
Guppy Nov 8, 2018
I've been building a gaming rig for my 8 year old - he also wants to play "something like minecraft but with real people"

going through the list of candidates with single player mode I have

• Rust - properly a bit too violent from what I've sen

• ARK - tried the demo and the menu system is enough to give me pause

• Planet Nomads

The last one I have on my own wishlist, but It's still early access - so I'm a little iffy, how well does it play and how intuitive is the crafting system?

Are there any titles you would recommend?
Ehvis Nov 8, 2018
Planet Nomads may be the most appropriate as it does have a lot of building options. Even down to the level of small blocks. It also has a creative mode where you don't have to worry about the survival issues. But as you said, it is still early access and not free of problems. I think the story stuff is also far from complete, but that may be less of an issue if you're just looking for the building site of things.

As for the EA side. I've had it since the closed betas and they have done some impressive work on it. But as the past few months have shown, it has also been in a non-functional state on Linux (although not for everybody) for a while. The game could also do with a bit more optimisation.

As for a more traditional survival/crafting game, Stranded Deep is now on Linux too. Haven't played it myself (not yet anyway), but it always looked fun on streams.
lucinos Nov 8, 2018
Probably not easy/recommended for an 8 year old, not easy for anyone actually, but Don't Starve is a good one.
g000h Nov 8, 2018
Not an ideal "Linux gaming" answer, but have you seen Roblox. This is literally a multi-player building/creative game made with kids in mind.

Can you clarify - Are you looking for Minecraft-style Survival-ish games, including single-player or only multi-player titles?

Wayward is a pixel-based survival game, with a free Web Version and a Linux Version on Steam.

Some other ideas: Terraria, Stardew Valley, Kingdom: New Lands, Kingdom: Classic, Colony Survival, Starbound.

Also there is Unturned free survival game on Steam. The art-style is basic, but the game is very detailed and might be too adult-oriented for your child.
tuxintuxedo Nov 8, 2018
Don't throw a stone at me, but there are a few for Windows.
Check out Green Hell, Raft or Stranded Deep (with Linux version). Whether they are worth the money is for you to decide.
My personal favorite is Stranded 2, but that is quite an old game, although there is a mod that makes the graphics better. It gave me many good memories and works well with Wine.
Guppy Nov 9, 2018
Quoting: g000hNot an ideal "Linux gaming" answer, but have you seen Roblox. This is literally a multi-player building/creative game made with kids in mind.
I am aware of Roblox, but I'm avoiding it for now - for one thing it seems that players can create anything and alot of the games seem to be basic FPS. I'm trying to avoid exposing him to games where the sole purpose is to kill/harm other people until he is a bit older and is able to more clearly distinguish between 'game behavior' and 'rl behavior'. Its not that I am against games with any pvp - heck minecraft has it, I just want it to be *a* viable solution for conflict resolution, not *the* solution.. if that makes sence :)

Also the fact that the very first ting I found when initialy researching the game was a very,very long article dealing with identifying, classifying and reporting online predators in game did not help in the slightest.

Quoting: g000hCan you clarify - Are you looking for Minecraft-style Survival-ish games, including single-player or only multi-player titles?

Minecraft craft/survival games with advanced building mechanics ala. redstone in minecraft - single or multiplayer doesn't really matter as long as multiplayer means you have an option for local/friends only games.

Quoting: tuxintuxedoCheck out Green Hell, Raft or Stranded Deep (with Linux version).

Raft is his the wish list because his favorite youtubers played it ( brave new world eh? ) - how ever the "slight" issue of water not rendering when played via steamplay has stayed my hand thus far
razing32 Nov 9, 2018
How about
Planet Centauri
Sky Break - you fight robots , so no violence to humans ?
Rising World
Maybe even Wurm Unlimited ?

Browsing Steam related games also came across this : Eco
stretch611 Nov 9, 2018
Possibly Oxygen Not Included.

ONI is not a very hard game... but they recently added a mode setting for "Survival" and "No Sweat" modes when starting. Essentially Survival is the previous difficulty, so I my thinking is that no sweat is quite literal in its difficulty. And on the off chance it is too rough, people have started adding mods that really make the game easier.
Dragunov Nov 9, 2018
The Don't Starve series and Terraria have got to be my top 2 recommendations. They are definately a must-play for all ages.
These games have endless replay-ability.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.