You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
The Talos Principle: vulkan version doesn't work
donbastiano commented on 28 November 2018 at 6:14 pm UTC

Hi, when I chose the vulkan API the game crashes with the message "Fatal error: Cannot set display mode". I searched but have not found a solution. The relevant part of the log says:
18:48:59 TRC: Cannot get values for cvar d3d_bTripleBuffering. The variable is not declared. 18:49:08 LOG: Clearing fullscreen flag on the window. 18:49:08 LOG: Trying to set display mode 1920x1080(fullscreen)... 18:49:08 LOG: Loaded "libGL.so.1". 18:49:08 LOG: Loaded "/Steam/steamapps/common/The Talos Principle/Bin/GfxVLK.so". 18:49:08 LOG: Setting fullscreen flag on the window. 18:49:08 LOG: Created thread 40DB2FAD(VLKResourceReleasing). 18:49:08 LOG: Loaded "libvulkan.so.1". 18:49:08 ERR: Cannot set requested display mode 1920x1080: GfxAPI error: 18:49:08 ERR: Vulkan error: "VK_KHR_surface" instance extension missing! 18:49:08 ERR: 18:49:08 INF: (display mode already stopped) 18:49:08 INF: Trying fallback modes... 18:49:08 LOG: Trying to set display mode 1920x1080(fullscreen)... 18:49:08 LOG: Loaded "libGL.so.1".
But the the extension is present
vulkaninfo | grep VK_KHR_surface WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only. VK_KHR_surface : extension revision 25
Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.70

Any idea? I want to see if with vulkan the framerate is a little more "stable"

liamdawe commented on 28 November 2018 at 8:31 pm UTC

What version of Mesa are you using?

debianxfce commented on 28 November 2018 at 8:34 pm UTC

Talos with Vulkan works fine with Debian Sid Xfce, my custom 4.20-rc4 kernel, Oibaf ppa Mesa and RX570.

Flabb commented on 29 November 2018 at 9:43 am UTC

Games on Serious Engine should work fine on AMD hardware with Vulkan. There were some problems with their Vulkan renderer when it was first introduced, but at this time they are mostly solved, I play both TTP and SSF with Vulkan fine on my desktop.

Make sure that you use the latest version of Mesa - I remember that there were some RADV bugs that prevented Serious Engine games from working properly. However, they were present in very old version of Mesa.

donbastiano commented on 29 November 2018 at 9:19 pm UTC

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS so maybe my Mesa is a little outdated...
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5
and so the kernel, 4.15.0-39-generic. RX 570 also here
If there isn't a workaround, I think I'll wait for 18.04.2 that is scheduled for February. I played for around 1 hour and the game wasn't smooth with many framedrops; maybe I'm wrong, but I expect that with vulkan could be a better experience.

Thank you

liamdawe commented on 30 November 2018 at 12:09 am UTC

Yeah I would absolutely try a newer version of Mesa. Have you thought about trying a PPA that has a newer version? PPAs can be reasonably easily reverted if you're not happy with the result.

tuxintuxedo commented on 30 November 2018 at 6:54 am UTC

I am sure a few Vulkan parts are missing from that Mesa version. I actually use the Padoka stable PPA, though haven't tried Talos with Vulkan.

donbastiano commented on 30 November 2018 at 8:24 pm UTC

I'm more for official solutions but maybe some PPA are used enough to be trusted and stable, also if maybe they are more tested with newer kernel. I have to see which one is more suitable, I just know the Padoka and Oibaf and have to see their difference.
I had some problem in the past but maybe at that time I had also fglrx, it is much better the situation now
Thank you again

sr_ls_boy commented on 1 December 2018 at 1:02 am UTC

Mesa version 18.2.6 isn't that much better. I don't know what happened but RADV has a problem with this title.

donbastiano commented on 1 December 2018 at 10:14 pm UTC

I tried the Padoka stable but still the same problem... me! The game started properly (using OpenGL), then in the menu game I selected the Vulkan API and it auto-restart and crashes BUT I just noticed that when you launch the game it appears a menu where you can select the "normal" or the 64bit version So, solved with the 64bit version, I apologize.

Flabb commented on 2 December 2018 at 7:56 am UTC

donbastianoI tried the Padoka stable but still the same problem... me! The game started properly (using OpenGL), then in the menu game I selected the Vulkan API and it auto-restart and crashes BUT I just noticed that when you launch the game it appears a menu where you can select the "normal" or the 64bit version So, solved with the 64bit version, I apologize.

Ah, yes. DAN (Croteam's graphics developer) mentioned in Vulkan FAQ that 64-bit build is necessary to run the game with Vulkan renderer. I've completely forgot about it since I always run 64-bit TTP.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts