You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Talos Principle: vulkan version doesn't work
donbastiano Nov 28, 2018
Hi, when I chose the vulkan API the game crashes with the message "Fatal error: Cannot set display mode". I searched but have not found a solution. The relevant part of the log says:
18:48:59 TRC:  Cannot get values for cvar d3d_bTripleBuffering. The variable is not declared.
18:49:08 LOG:  Clearing fullscreen flag on the window.
18:49:08 LOG:  Trying to set display mode 1920x1080(fullscreen)...
18:49:08 LOG:  Loaded "libGL.so.1".
18:49:08 LOG:  Loaded "/Steam/steamapps/common/The Talos Principle/Bin/GfxVLK.so".
18:49:08 LOG:  Setting fullscreen flag on the window.
18:49:08 LOG:  Created thread 40DB2FAD(VLKResourceReleasing).
18:49:08 LOG:  Loaded "libvulkan.so.1".
18:49:08 ERR:  Cannot set requested display mode 1920x1080: GfxAPI error: 
18:49:08 ERR:  Vulkan error: "VK_KHR_surface" instance extension missing!
18:49:08 ERR:  
18:49:08 INF:  (display mode already stopped)
18:49:08 INF:  Trying fallback modes...
18:49:08 LOG:  Trying to set display mode 1920x1080(fullscreen)...
18:49:08 LOG:  Loaded "libGL.so.1".

But the the extension is present
vulkaninfo | grep VK_KHR_surface
WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
VK_KHR_surface                      : extension revision 25

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.1.70

Any idea? I want to see if with vulkan the framerate is a little more "stable"
Liam Dawe Nov 28, 2018
What version of Mesa are you using?
donbastiano Nov 29, 2018
I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS so maybe my Mesa is a little outdated...
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.5
and so the kernel, 4.15.0-39-generic. RX 570 also here :)
If there isn't a workaround, I think I'll wait for 18.04.2 that is scheduled for February. I played for around 1 hour and the game wasn't smooth with many framedrops; maybe I'm wrong, but I expect that with vulkan could be a better experience.

Thank you
Liam Dawe Nov 30, 2018
Yeah I would absolutely try a newer version of Mesa. Have you thought about trying a PPA that has a newer version? PPAs can be reasonably easily reverted if you're not happy with the result.
tuxintuxedo Nov 30, 2018
I am sure a few Vulkan parts are missing from that Mesa version. I actually use the Padoka stable PPA, though haven't tried Talos with Vulkan.
donbastiano Nov 30, 2018
I'm more for official solutions but maybe some PPA are used enough to be trusted and stable, also if maybe they are more tested with newer kernel. I have to see which one is more suitable, I just know the Padoka and Oibaf and have to see their difference.
I had some problem in the past but maybe at that time I had also fglrx, it is much better the situation now :)
Thank you again
sr_ls_boy Dec 1, 2018
Mesa version 18.2.6 isn't that much better. I don't know what happened but RADV has a problem with this title.
donbastiano Dec 1, 2018
I tried the Padoka stable but still the same problem... me! The game started properly (using OpenGL), then in the menu game I selected the Vulkan API and it auto-restart and crashes BUT I just noticed that when you launch the game it appears a menu where you can select the "normal" or the 64bit version So, solved with the 64bit version, I apologize.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.