Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Steam after suspend...
stretch611 Dec 4, 2018
Does anyone else have this problem? Or maybe even a solution?

I have a gaming laptop. When I am about to go away from the computer for any length of time, I suspend instead of a full shut down. This, of course, turns off the network interface, display, and most power to the system.

When I restore power, the network comes back up and everything works fine... except Steam. Steam looks and acts like it is online, but it isn't. If I launch a game, it waits, and its connection times out and it asks if I want to play offline and that it can't sync my save data. Yet, my network connection is active. I can play the game and it works fine. Yet, it is a significant delay before I get the play offline option. When I exit the game, it seems like everything is back to working properly with the network. If I leave the library page and go to the store page or one of my account pages, it acts as if I am not logged in, tries to relog with my credentials and ALWAYS fails. Retrying the connection continues to fail.

Alternatively, when I resume from suspend, I can exit steam, restart it, and it works fine... Or, after a few minutes without restarting Steam, (15-30 I think, but I never bothered to truly test,) I will not have a problem either.

I highly doubt that it is a network or hardware issue, as the network works for everything else, and my prior laptop has the same issues with Steam after a suspend. I am guessing that Steam uses some secure connection that De-syncs while suspended and only re connects after 30 minutes or a client restart.

Of course, I suspend in order to save time (and not reload browser tabs, or work related items) and it just sucks that I need to wait to perform a full restart on the steam client (which as we all know is far from quick, even on a beefy system.) It would be nice if there was a re-connect option...

And I also assume, but have yet to test... that even though my Steam Chat says that I am connected, I have a feeling that this is out of sync too.
ageres Dec 4, 2018
I don't use suspending, but when I did, I had this problem too on my laptop with Linux Mint. Must be a bug in the Linux version of Steam.
Quoteand it just sucks that I need to wait to perform a full restart on the steam client (which as we all know is far from quick, even on a beefy system.)
Just few seconds on my old laptop with Intel Celeron.
stretch611 Dec 4, 2018
Seconds... not for me. I actually timed it right now... 2 minutes 5 seconds. On a Ryzen 7 1700 laptop. The first 90 seconds were "Checking Updates... Verifying Installation Files". I don't remember any significant difference on my previous computer which was an Intel i7.

Maybe though the size of my library has something to do with it... I have 409 games, 540 DLC, of which 56 games are currently installed on this computer using 120GB of disk space. (based on the properties of the ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common folder; parent of the game installation directories.)

So you can see why I prefer not restarting the client.
ageres Dec 4, 2018
I have much more games, in my library and installed, and Steam launching time doesn't seem to be affected by the number of games. I just timed this too, and it took 10 seconds to restart on my computer with AMD FX. Do you have an SSD? Maybe there's something wrong with your Internet connection? How quick does Steam go to the offline mode?
stretch611 Dec 4, 2018
I have an SSD... But, I only have / on that drive... /var, /tmp, /home, and a swap partition are on "spinning rust." So, my Steam Library is on an actual disk, not the SSD.

Actually, I just checked again... but... I restarted Steam... it took about 5 seconds. However, this time, I know for a fact that Steam was in cached memory... The previous time was after a system reboot.
ageres Dec 4, 2018
Quoting: stretch611So, my Steam Library is on an actual disk, not the SSD.
Mine too. But my /home is on SSD, so is Steam. But 2 minutes is too much anyway even for an HDD.
(what's the point of putting swap on a slow HDD, by the way? Or having swap at all?)
stretch611 Dec 4, 2018
Quoting: agereswhat's the point of putting swap on a slow HDD, by the way? Or having swap at all?
Swap on the HDD to avoid constant writing to the SSD. The same reason why I put /tmp and /var there. While newer SSDs have a much longer lifespan for writing nowadays, they are the last place I would want to put swap.

As for why a swap drive; I do some development on my laptop and I utilize virtual machines as well. I rarely go into it, but it is there just in case. I do have 16GB of RAM, but having a 32GB swap isn't missed on a 1TB drive.

Now, you didn't ask, but the reason why I have "/" on the SSD is that I feel boosting the system is best for everything I do on the laptop; instead of just games.
lucinos Dec 4, 2018
I have the same annoying problem on my desktop, but it does not _always_ happen when I suspend, and it does not _only_ happen when I suspend. It is a bit more random to me. It is more annoying to me that I have to quit steam than start it. Usually starting steam is quite fast.
ageres Dec 4, 2018
Did someone actually face with SSD failure because of writing too much? I think this problem is overrated. SSDs are evolving, and people buy new SSDs because they have several times more capacity for the same price, not because their old SSD got broken. It's like owning a 1GB flash drive. Would you use it today, or you'd prefer to get a newer one?

I'm using SSDs for 5 or 6 years, or more, and none broke so far (except for one which was defected from the very beginning), while HDDs break all the time (damn Seagate). And they are not some expensive fancy Samsung EVOs, just the cheapest Chinese drives from AliExpress by brands I've never heard of. My said laptop is on 24/7 for 5 years, seeding and downloading torrents, and its SSD still works as good as a new.

I compile stuff and use virtual machines too, and when I was still using swap, I never saw it was being used more than few megabytes. I tried to "optimize" Linux at first by partitioning drives and separating /var, etc too, but found it was just waste of time and disk space and problems if a partition is too small. I prefer to use the whole SSD as / and even disable reserving 5% of space for root to get as much gigs as possible (by 'sudo tune2fs /dev/sdXX -m 0' if someone would find this useful - plus 150 GB to my 3TB drive!)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.