Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
BIOSHOCK REMASTERED 1 & 2 RELEASED ON GOG!!!!!!!
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Hamish Mar 21, 2020
As of the last month or so I could not get BioShock or BioShock 2 to launch properly on my setup using the R600 Gallium3D Driver and my Radeon HD 6870 graphics card.

BioShock 2 gave the following error:
0047:fixme:d3d:state_linepattern_w Setting line patterns is not supported in OpenGL core contexts.

Which led me to this forum thread:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=30705

I eventually discovered that I needed to override the OpenGL version to 4.1 to get both games to load:
export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410

I am not sure what changed, seeing as how it used to work fine without this. Maybe something was added in either the driver or in WINE that awakened some new functionality that the engine will try to utilize if present. I was already running both games in DirectX 9 mode.

Last edited by Hamish on 21 March 2020 at 7:14 am UTC
Hamish Mar 21, 2020
As far as I understand it, my graphics card in theory has support for up to OpenGL 4.4 but to reach this it must have a driver that implements software FP64 shaders since it was not built into the hardware itself.

This means that outside of the ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 extension I do have full OpenGL 4.4 in my driver but without the override it will only report that it has support for OpenGL 3.1 due to the missing extension:
[hamish@Gehirn ~]$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 19.3.4
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 19.3.4
[hamish@Gehirn ~]$ 

This is why overriding the version to OpenGL 4.4 is still able to expose the needed functionality as the support is there for everything except for FP64 shaders in both my hardware and driver.
Avehicle7887 Mar 21, 2020
Quoting: HamishI was already running both games in DirectX 9 mode.

The remastered versions are using DX11, which might be the reason why you need a higher OpenGL version. As for FP64, your GPU may not support it but Mesa has Soft FP64 support, naturally its' slower but doesn't lock you out.
Hamish Mar 21, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887The remastered versions are using DX11, which might be the reason why you need a higher OpenGL version.
I am using the Classic versions of both BioShock and BioShock 2.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.