Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Bioshock 1 & 2 remastered in Wine?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 18, 2018
It's easy to test. Check its log when Wine runs.
Avehicle7887 Dec 18, 2018
Quoting: ageresAccording to system requirements, it also needs 64-bit Windows. But it is 32-bit itself. And it runs on DX9. I played it on Windows, and MSI Afterburner showed me it's on DX9. So, BioShock games weren't actually remastered, just few newer textures and 3D models. The laziest remasters ever.

Actually the games both use DX11, here's a screenie of the first game with DXVK:

@shmerl: There's quite a few other 32bit games with DX11 such - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Ghost of a Tale, Darksiders 1 Warmastered Edition.
ageres Dec 18, 2018
Quoting: Avehicle7887Actually the games both use DX11, here's a screenie of the first game with DXVK:
It probably is DX10 renderer. DXVK supports it, right?
Avehicle7887 Dec 18, 2018
Quoting: ageres
Quoting: Avehicle7887Actually the games both use DX11, here's a screenie of the first game with DXVK:
It probably is DX10 renderer. DXVK supports it, right?

Tested it without the DX10 dll's and DXVK still runs, it's clearly DX11.
Shmerl Dec 19, 2018
Just tried it out. I had to clean up my dxvk builds to produce 32-bit ones as well. Here is Bioshock running with winelib dxvk:

I'll enable vsync for this, no point to run at such huge framerate.
Shmerl Dec 19, 2018
Once thing I noticed is a lot of stutter when entering new areas. Hopefully dxvk pipeline cache will mitigate it over time.
Avehicle7887 Dec 19, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlOnce thing I noticed is a lot of stutter when entering new areas. Hopefully dxvk pipeline cache will mitigate it over time.

I noticed that too, thought it was just my setup.
Shmerl Dec 20, 2018
I guess it somehow creates tons of Vulkan pipelines. That's the first such game I encountered. It's also indicated by the cache file size - it's already 6.3 MB and I'm just in the beginning areas still. In comparison, pipeline cache file for Shadow Warrior 2 (completed the game) is around 7 MB.

I usually add this to my launcher scripts:

export DXVK_STATE_CACHE_PATH=$HOME/.cache/dxvk

So all cache files go in one place.
massatt212 Dec 20, 2018
is their any software similar to Lutris other than PlayonLinux
Shmerl Dec 20, 2018
There was, I don't remember the name though. I stopped using PlayOnLinux and never used Lutris really. I prefer my own installation method lately. May be if I'll have time I'll wrap it up in some minimalist toolset.

But you can use some of my scripts, like these:

* wine_env.sh
* wine_run.sh

Those are launching tools that I constantly use. Place them for example in $HOME/bin

Here is how Bioshock setup is organized for me:

In $HOME:
games/wine/bioshock
games/wine/bioshock/prefix
games/wine/bioshock/start.sh

start.sh can look like this:

#!/bin/bash

hud=${hud:-false}

if $hud; then
   export DXVK_HUD=devinfo,fps,memory
fi

export DXVK_STATE_CACHE_PATH=$HOME/.cache/dxvk
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/games/wine/bioshock/prefix

export WINEDEBUG=${WINEDEBUG:-"-all"}
export DXVK_LOG_LEVEL=${DXVK_LOG_LEVEL:-"none"}

cd $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/bioshock/Build/Final

wine_run.sh BioshockHD.exe -nointro #&>wine_run.log

Installing the game itself (into $HOME/games/wine/bioshock/prefix) and setting up dxvk for it are separate steps.

For example to install the game, you can do the following (using GOG installer):

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/games/wine/bioshock/prefix wine_run.sh setup_bioshock_remastered_1.0.122872_(25715).exe

I select something C:/bioshock in the installer (start.sh points to it).

Then, I extract the png icon from the *.ico file provided by GOG (using imagemagic) and create .dekstop launcher for start.sh in $HOME/.local/share/applications for easy access.

UPDATE:

Hm. Code blocks are completely messed up here.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.