Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Most linuxy ethernet switch for home usage?
HerrLange Jan 2, 2019
Dear Linux Users,

as a passioned linux user I’m wondering what would be the most linuxy ethernet switch out there?

I’m willing to pay a bit more for the good thing and supporting open source/free software. Also I’m clearly an victim of hardware for enthusiasms. Therefore featurewise NBase-T (2,5/5 gbit) are in scope. Nice to have would be the option of creating bonds and managing vlans. On the other hand i do not need more than 8 ports as i just have 5-6 devices connected via cable based lan. So 16 ports seems to be an upper limit.

Using a dedicated classical x86 pc with a lot of networkcards is not what I’m looking for. But I am always open regarding using raspis. At the end i want to have a plug’n’play usbale switch.

Minimal objective: At least i would like to buy a product from a really linux friendly company. Best would be to know linux friendliest network hardware provider.

Any suggestions? What are you using? Any further thoughts?
Shmerl Jan 3, 2019
I'm simply using a router (Linksys WRT1900ACS). Not really fancy like professional switches or anything, but does a decent job for gigabit connections and WiFi. You can run open source DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it. The WiFi driver is also open source.
14 Jan 3, 2019
ClearOS offers some hardware appliances, although their software is much more suited for routing and small business server needs.

I am a fan of the UniFi networking hardware and software. While I don't have enough knowledge of their background to say whether or not they're pro Linux, you can SSH into their devices and you can run their web UI on a Linux host. Also, you do not have to create any accounts or register your devices in order to download updates (as opposed to the annoying Cisco company). However, I am not sure that they offer the higher speeds you're looking for. Be prepared to spend >$1,000 for those speeds.

I recently set up a small office with a 24-port Netgear switch. Each port was capable of 10G. So many products offer browser-based user interfaces these days that you're not going to be spending time on a command line unless you're managing many devices at scale.
TobyGornow Jan 3, 2019
Pfsense / OPNsense could be what you're looking for, they're firewall & router distributions.

Personally, I use a cheap TP-link AC1750 running DD-Wrt and it' working great
slaapliedje Jan 3, 2019
I'm confused, are you talking about a router (something that will route packages from systems to the internet) or a switch (which just sits in your network and passes network traffic along)? I weirdly (for reasons) have managed switches at my house :P Generally buy TP-Link, because they are semi-decent, and don't cost a crapload.
HerrLange Jan 4, 2019
I’m really talking about a managed switch cause I’m using vlan and link aggregation. I would like to take a 16 port modell. If an e.g. Open-WRT driven or similar router fullfills my needs I would be fine to use it.

The initial question has some kind of morale component. I would like to buy from a company dedicated to free and open software. Also I would prefer an as open as possible hardware.

No mentioned, but usually I try to buy products that have been manufactured under fair conditions. Sustainability is also a factor.

And I’m willing to pay more if those ethical standards are met.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.