Stream games to a client?
denyasis Feb 16, 2019
Hello;

My apologies if this is in the wrong spot or has been covered. I've been searching around without much success.

So, I *finally* got a desktop built after saving for 2 years. I've been really enjoying the Steam Link, as has my family.

This got me thinking. Is there a away to "stream" from my Linux pc to a Linux laptop? I know Steam's in home streaming does not support a Linux host.

I'm vaguely familiar with virtual desktops, but that doesn't seen like it would work. Would I just need a straight remote connection?

I'm mostly looking to play games that don't really work well on the tv across a living room (Kerbal Space Program).

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts our experiences. I'm hoping to have some time next Friday to do some research and experimentation.
Koopacabras Feb 17, 2019
try parsec https://parsecgaming.com/ maybe the easiest tool to set up streaming.
DarkVantage Feb 17, 2019
> I know Steam's in home streaming does not support a Linux host.

I regularly stream games from my office laptop to my TV-attached NUC in the living room. Both run Arch Linux. Works just fine.
Liam Dawe Feb 17, 2019
Quoting: DarkVantage> I know Steam's in home streaming does not support a Linux host.

I regularly stream games from my office laptop to my TV-attached NUC in the living room. Both run Arch Linux. Works just fine.
Indeed, Linux as a host in Steam has been supported for as long as I can remember.
denyasis Feb 17, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombietry parsec https://parsecgaming.com/ maybe the easiest tool to set up streaming.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: DarkVantage> I know Steam's in home streaming does not support a Linux host.

Indeed, Linux as a host in Steam has been supported for as long as I can remember.

Really? I did not know that. I was just going off the website, which stated it was Windows hosts only. I'll have to check it out as well.

Thank you guys! I appreciate the advice!
denyasis Feb 22, 2019
Took a look at Steam's in-home-Streaming. It appears to Works, although clunkily. Only real issue is that while Non-Steam games appear readily in the library when using the Steam link and in the library on the host, they don't appear at all in the client. To find them I have to activate BPM, and go to the "installed" list. Unlike in the Link, they don't show up under the "recent" tab, even when I just ran them.

A minor inconvenience, BPM seems to slow down my poor laptop, but once the streaming is happening, everything feels pretty responsive. So far, so Good. I'll have to try it out more thoroughly tonight.

I took a quick look at the Parsec software, but I was dissuaded by the Windows Host Only lines. Perhaps its just outdated info like on Steam's in-home-streaming page.

Thanks again for the tips. I would have never figured it out without some direction!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.