Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Stuttering on Radeon VII with steamplay
nattydread Mar 22, 2019
I just bought an AMD Radeon VII card which comes bundled with, Devil may cry 5 and Resident evil 2 remake on steam. I was really amazed to see that they play with steam play, which is the first time I have used it. However the performance is not as good as linux games.
Does anyone know how I could improve the performance?
Note that I turned down graphics settings and resolution but the stutter was still there.
I am running linux kernel 5.02 and the latest mesa drivers.

Thanks in advance.
TobyGornow Mar 22, 2019
Geez ! Nice card you have there ! I'm kinda jealous...

Try to replace Steamplay Dxvk version with the latest 1.0.1, apparently there's improvement for DMC 5. Didn't try it myself though...
nattydread Mar 22, 2019
Haha it is great, plays 4k games really smoothly!
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go over the weekend.
ftl2000 Apr 8, 2019
Read this: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

State cache
DXVK caches pipeline state by default, so that shaders can be recompiled ahead of time on subsequent runs of an application, even if the driver's own shader cache got invalidated in the meantime. This cache is enabled by default, and generally reduces stuttering.

The following environment variables can be used to control the cache:

DXVK_STATE_CACHE=0 Disables the state cache.
DXVK_STATE_CACHE_PATH=/some/directory Specifies a directory where to put the cache files. Defaults to the current working directory of the application.
Tom B Apr 13, 2019
I just posted about this myself ( https://www.gamingonlinux.com/forum/topic/3839/page=1 ) . Did you ever manage to fix it or find out what the problem is? Both Proton and Wine+DXVK have this issue and to rule out DXVK I have the same issue with old DX9/DX8 games which should run flawlessly.

It seems to be to do with loading modules/textures into the scene that causes the problem.
YoRHa-2B Apr 15, 2019
Probably just compiling shaders. That said, Resident Evil 2 should have very few stutters once you reach the police station.
nattydread Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for the advice everyone. To be honest I have been busy on other games but I will get back to this one. On RE2 there is an annoying bug that you can't get past a loading screen for which you need a specific windows library...
nattydread May 22, 2019
I went back to devil may cry 5 and it runs really smoothly now.
Wow I'm impressed how much progress has been made to play windows games smoothly on linux.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.