Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay!
  Go to:
DIABLO on Linux
Dedale commented on 19 May 2019 at 4:43 pm UTC

In fact, i just had to google a little bit. I now play easily diablo in DevilutionX with the windows version via WINE. Thank you to all of you who have helped.

I will try the other one later.

Cyril commented on 19 May 2019 at 11:19 pm UTC

Did I miss something?

DevilutionX is Linux native, so why using Wine?

legluondunet commented on 19 May 2019 at 11:45 pm UTC

CyrilDid I miss something?

DevilutionX is Linux native, so why using Wine?

For mainly two reasons:
- first the Linux 64 bits version is not yet enough stable
- the Linux 32 bits version is as stable as the win32 version but needs 32 bits libraries that are not always installed on user distribution by default. The main objective to use Lutris is: install and play, you can not deal with missed dependencies.

When the Linux 64 bits version will be enough stable, I plan to write a Linux script for this version, with a static binary or appimage to avoid dependencies problem. I talked with Devilutionx dev today, his project made fast progress, the 64 bits version will be soon stable, only 2-3 issues to resolve:

"just to give you a status on DevilutionX for native 64bit Almost everything works, except:
- save games are not compatible with 32bit
- chat memory is handled as 32bit and can lead to crashes at start up (list.h line 94)
- moving gold or items in the belt will convert the item to a broken random item (cleaning CheckInvPaste should fix it)"

Cyril commented on 20 May 2019 at 12:59 am UTC

legluondunetFor mainly two reasons:
- first the Linux 64 bits version is not yet enough stable
- the Linux 32 bits version is as stable as the win32 version but needs 32 bits libraries that are not always installed on user distribution by default. The main objective to use Lutris is: install and play, you can not deal with missed dependencies.

When the Linux 64 bits version will be enough stable, I plan to write a Linux script for this version, with a static binary or appimage to avoid dependencies problem. I talked with Devilutionx dev today, his project made fast progress, the 64 bits version will be soon stable, only 2-3 issues to resolve:

"just to give you a status on DevilutionX for native 64bit Almost everything works, except:
- save games are not compatible with 32bit
- chat memory is handled as 32bit and can lead to crashes at start up (list.h line 94)
- moving gold or items in the belt will convert the item to a broken random item (cleaning CheckInvPaste should fix it)"

Ok so it was what I was thinking about. But for me installing 32bits libs is not really an issue, even if it's better to use ones that fit our OS. I know it get angry some people to have to install 32bits libs...
For now I prefer to have Linux native (32) than using Lutris/Wine.

Honestly I never really used Lutris, maybe I should as it seems to be a great soft'.

Releasing an Appimage or similar would be great for some people, nice!

As for the news of the 64bits build I'm hype thanks!

legluondunet commented on 22 May 2019 at 5:58 am UTC

Someone could test this devilutionx 32 bits package?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nImzaRjLlWCVMD_sEcoYQEx09HWCMipB/view?usp=sharing
It's a package with last Devilutionx version 4.0 and normally all the 32 bits libraries it needs.
The idea is: you don't have to install 32 bits libraries as they are already in the package, like appimage.
How to use:
- unzip archive
- copy your Diablo file "diabdat.mpq" from your CD or GOG install inside the extracted archive folder
- make the launcher file "devilutionx.sh" executable:
chmod +x
- execute the launcher from the terminal to obtain log:
./devilutionx.sh

I need to know if it launches correctly or if it still asks for another missing 32 bits libraries.

Dedale commented on 22 May 2019 at 10:52 am UTC

I am not sure what the problem is at home but i got the same message than with the other Linux builds i tested:

Quote./devilutionx: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Xubuntu 18.04 up to date. And i did install those libraries. Or so i thought.

I also tried this:

Quotesudo apt install libSDL2_ttf-2.0
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
E: Impossible de trouver le paquet libSDL2_ttf-2.0
E: Impossible de trouver de paquet correspondant à l'expression rationnelle « libSDL2_ttf-2.0 »
E: Impossible de trouver de paquet correspondant à l'expression rationnelle « libSDL2_ttf-2.0 »

I should probably explore the git page to see if it is an ubuntu specific problem. Or maybe my system is partially broke. I don't know.

legluondunet commented on 22 May 2019 at 12:31 pm UTC

Dedale, thank you for your report, I just updated archive with missing libraries. Could you please redownload and retest?

Dedale commented on 22 May 2019 at 12:42 pm UTC

Quote./devilutionx.sh

./devilutionx: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I wonder if it isn't an ubuntu problem. Maybe others will have more luck.

legluondunet commented on 22 May 2019 at 1:43 pm UTC

"I wonder if it isn't an Ubuntu problem."
No it isn't, it's just you didn't install needed 32 bits libraries.
I updated the package with additional libraries, could you please redownload and retest?

Dedale commented on 22 May 2019 at 2:22 pm UTC

Quote./devilutionx.sh
./devilutionx: error while loading shared libraries: libsndio.so.7.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It is some sort of progress.
When i tried to install the first library, libsdl2 i had an issue on my system.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Friday Livestream with Samsai
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts