Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
DIABLO on Linux
Page: «5/6»
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 Sep 27, 2019
Quoting: legluondunetI'm curious to know if it works on others Linux distributions.
Avehicle my build is not Debian 9 compatible?

I tried your build and even though I can link it to a modern version of glibc (built from source too), it just keeps giving me a segmentation fault. To put it plainly, it doesn't work on vanilla Debian 9.

Getting devilution to compile on old distros (inc Debian 9) requires a bit of effort as it requires some newer version libraries (libsodium for starters). TBH it's not really worth spending time on getting it to work on older distros unless you have a very good reason to do so (in my case it's my main OS).

EDIT:
I even managed to run the same Debian 9 build on Ubuntu 14.04 (I have a fetish for running new stuff on old distros don't ask). Something I hadn't discovered before though is a crash when attempting to play in multiplayer, I'll play around with the code in hopes of getting it working. Singleplayer works nicely :)

EDIT 2:
Found and fixed the cause of the crashes. It's late but I will give it a small test tomorrow and re-upload it.
Avehicle7887 Sep 28, 2019
DevilutionX for Debian 9 and older distros (tested as far back as Ubuntu 14.04):

Build Date: 22nd Feb 2020
Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18CQiioltyyiZwbuXOIj6gwhgP2RNHhvb

Tested on:
Debian 9
Ubuntu 16.04
Ubuntu 14.04

Binary built as of commit: fa50343551ed04d5d97ffb7fbf9b7bf6e5dab18d

The build will probably even work with newer distros but I haven't tested this.

Running the game is pretty straightforward: extract the archive > place the 'diabdat.mpq' file in the same folder > 'run play.sh'.

:)

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 22 February 2020 at 1:33 pm UTC
crt0mega Oct 16, 2019
@legluondunet: Nice job. I'm gonna try your build on Debian/Unstable soon :D
legluondunet Dec 27, 2019
Hello Dedale, what is your mage level now?

Quote./devilutionx: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I will add this library to the package, thank you for your report.
Cyril Dec 27, 2019
It's in that sort of situations where the AUR is great, because it will install dependencies automatically from the PKGBUILD.
And now that devilutionX is in 0.5.0 version it's fully functional on 64bits, the AUR package just named "devilutionx" works perfectly (with a desktop shortcut in bonus).
legluondunet Dec 28, 2019
Hello little devils,

I just updated my devilutionX build to last git version and added some features:

- version 0.5.0 Github 27/12/2019
- DE integration: if no devilutionX icons and devilutionX.desktop files found, script will install them in user folder. You could then launch it without Lutris, directly from DE applications menu.
- Portable build: tested on different Linux Distributions (GLIB >= 2.7). If you move the devilutionX folder in another place, script will automatically update devilutionX.desktop file.

On Lutris Diablo page, use installer script called "GOG + DevilutionX Linux 64 bits":

https://lutris.net/games/diablo/

tested with success on Linux distributions (GLIBC >= 2.7) fresh install:
Debian 10
Ubuntu 18.04
Manjaro 18.1.3
Solus 4
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Fedora 30

Could you test it and report me eventual issues.

Last edited by legluondunet on 28 December 2019 at 9:56 am UTC
AJenbo Jan 3, 2020
Note that all official versions are built on Debian 9 so it should be easy enough to do, the only change that is needed (comparing to a blank installation) is upgrading CMake and libsodium (which can be done via the official backport repo). You can see the exact steps that the build bot does this in here:
https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX/blob/master/.circleci/config.yml#L7
legluondunet Jan 7, 2020
Hello little devils,

I just updated my devilutionX portable build/Diablo Lutris script to last git version:
- version 1.0.0 (git 2dcf237 07/01/2020)

On Lutris Diablo page, use installer script called "GOG + DevilutionX Linux 64 bits":

https://lutris.net/games/diablo/

tested with success on Linux distributions (GLIBC >= 2.7) fresh install:
Debian 10
Ubuntu 18.04
Manjaro 18.1.3
Solus 4
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Fedora 30

Could you test it and report me eventual issues.
Trias Jan 9, 2020
Hello!

Trying to install Diablo on Linux Mint 19.3 and keep getting error "Installing Diablo GOG DevilutionX Linux 64 bits I can't move /home/username/.cache/lutris/installer/diablo/diabdat/DIABDAT.MPQ, it does not exist".

Before it Lutris quickly shows "Running /home/username/.cache/lutris/installer/diablo/innoextract/innoextract --extract /home/username/.cache/lutris/installer/diablo/gog/setup_diablo_1.09_hellfire_v2_(30038).exe --output-dir /home/username/.cache/lutris/installer/diablo/diabdat/
Not a supported Inno Setup installer!
Done with 1 error.
Waiting on children
Exit with returncode 2"

Looks like Lutris tries to unpack .exe installer from GOG after downloading only 305 bytes of it. Manually putting .exe to .cache/lutris/installer/diablo/gog/ does nothing - Lutris just overwrites it with 305 bytes file.

Is there a way to point installer to .exe file directly?
legluondunet Jan 9, 2020
Hello, 2 workarounds:
1) erase lutris cache folder where GOG Diablo setup exe stored
or
2) disconnect your GOG sync in Lutris import options. Next time you will install a GOG game, Lutris will ask you to show it where you stored the setup exe.

Last edited by legluondunet on 10 January 2020 at 7:54 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.