You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Netbook/laptop recommendation
razing32 Apr 10, 2019
Hey there
Any ideas for a light laptop/netbook that runs linux ?
Thinking to get a cheap , smaller (13-14 inches) one for travelling.
Integrated graphics. Enough for browsing the web , watching a movie and playing some simplistic games that don't require graphic power.
Avehicle7887 Apr 11, 2019
No specific model to recommend but I'd suggest finding one with upgradable memory. They're like an endangered species these days but it's worth it.

A couple of years ago I bought a small 11" with intel N2840 CPU and came with just 2GB ram, upgraded to 8GB and it's like a breeze now :)
razing32 Apr 11, 2019
Well , being able to change anything would be good.
I like Chromebooks for their price but they have a soldered in Hard disk that is nothing more than a glorified SD Card - soldered in . So 5 years of use and bye.
Redface Apr 11, 2019
Have a look at the linuxhardware subreddit, there are lots of posts discussing different laptops and how well they work with Linux, and how good or bad the hardware is:

https://old.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/

And also check the ubuntu certified laptops https://certification.ubuntu.com/certification/
Even if none of them is how you like them then its a good resource to see which different hardware parts at least are in some ubuntu certified laptops.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.