Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
Page: «10/11»
  Go to:
tuxintuxedo Sep 3, 2020
Quoting: Vinouchwith RX 5600 XT latest proprietary driver
Just curious. Why don't you use Mesa? Does it also have the same problem?
tuubi Sep 3, 2020
ACO only works with the Mesa radv driver. Maybe you checked the ACO checkbox in Lutris but didn't notice it has no effect?
Koopacabras Sep 3, 2020
In most games (90% or even more) the Mesa drivers is faster than the proprietary driver, not to mention that Valve does theirs in house testing with the Mesa driver. No reason to use the proprietary driver only a few games run faster with it. Feral and others developers, officially support the Mesa driver, have not seen any game developer explicity supporting the proprietary driver ever.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 3 September 2020 at 1:14 pm UTC
Vinouch Sep 3, 2020
When I installed the GPU, I had the following bug from Ubuntu, so I installed the AMD propr driver (same issue as well). So now, I will follow your advices and reinstall the default driver and I will come back to tell what about it. https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/20-04-display-issues-with-amd-gpu/21648

Last edited by Vinouch on 3 September 2020 at 2:17 pm UTC
tuubi Sep 3, 2020
Quoting: VinouchWhen I installed the GPU, I had the following bug from Ubuntu, so I installed the AMD propr driver (same issue as well). So now, I will follow your advices and reinstall the default driver and I will come back to tell what about it. https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/20-04-display-issues-with-amd-gpu/21648
If you're still having problems, install a newer kernel. Mainline (free fork of UKUU) makes that really easy. You can find it in this PPA. I suggest grabbing the latest stable kernel on offer. Don't worry, you can easily boot back to the system provided one.

You'll probably want the latest stable Mesa as well, seeing as your GPU is quite recent. My favourite source is Kisak's excellent PPA.
Vinouch Sep 3, 2020
I prefer keep a stable profile and not switch kernel, neither try a driver from ppa. I'm not that kind. About my game assassin's creed origins with ACO enabled, now with mesa driver, same issue. But currently, enabled or disabled in this game don't change fps performance, so I play with it disabled.
Shmerl Sep 3, 2020
If you are using AMD use the latest kernel. Nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, you'll have issues, so that's expected.

An alternative approach is to use older kernel with latest amdgpu through dkms. But I don't see a need, unless you know exactly why older kernel is better for something else.

Last edited by Shmerl on 3 September 2020 at 8:54 pm UTC
tuxintuxedo Sep 3, 2020
Quoting: Vinouchneither try a driver from ppa
Using the proprietary driver goes against this principle, in a sense.
As it was mentioned, newer hardware needs newer system components. It's as simple as that.

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 3 September 2020 at 10:51 pm UTC
Koopacabras Sep 4, 2020
Using the 5.8 is a must I would say Mesa I think you are okay, but you need to use 5.8, since a lots of bugs were fixed, if you don't want to use 5.8 you'll have troubles. I had freezes with kernels older than 5.6.
Vinouch Sep 4, 2020
You are very affirmatives without proof. Please support your claims with reliable sources.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.