Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
  Go to:
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
Shmerl commented on 3 July 2019 at 6:33 pm UTC

Valve developers asked to help test and benchmark the new shader compiler they are working on.

This is a thread for posting benchmarks if you have any.

Mesa repo that contains the compiler: https://github.com/daniel-schuermann/mesa

* Testing instructions.
* Bug reporting.

Compiler is enabled by default. To disable it and use regular amdgpu/llvm compiler with the same Mesa build, set the environment variable:

RADV_PERFTEST=llvm

See:

* https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-are-asking-for-help-testing-aco-a-new-mesa-shader-compiler-for-amd-graphics.14502
* https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1602634609636894200

Shmerl commented on 3 July 2019 at 7:44 pm UTC

TW3 in Wine/esync+dxvk

amdgpu/llvm

aco:

Not bad! It produced around +3 fps for me on average (+3.6% improvement) in the busy street in Novigrad.

GPU: Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
Resolution: 1920x1200.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X.

I had to use llvm 8.0.1 though, since 9.0 snapshot currently causes a GPU hang. So would be interesting to compare with 9.0 once it will be fixed.

mirv commented on 3 July 2019 at 8:39 pm UTC

Are you able to run a benchmark through Blender? I know ACO is aimed at gaming, but I'm curious how well it might run on non-gaming application regardless.

Shmerl commented on 3 July 2019 at 8:40 pm UTC

I don't have blender installed currently, but if you have some instructions how to do it (specific scenario?) I can try.

Plus, I'm not sure how recent Blender is in Debian testing now, due to freeze (it will end soon though).

x_wing commented on 3 July 2019 at 8:40 pm UTC

I was wondering, should we clear the shaders cache?

Shmerl commented on 3 July 2019 at 8:41 pm UTC

x_wingI was wondering, should we clear the shaders cache?

Mesa does it by the version, so I'd say no need. New build will have a different version.

mirv commented on 3 July 2019 at 8:57 pm UTC

ShmerlI don't have blender installed currently, but if you have some instructions how to do it (specific scenario?) I can try.

Plus, I'm not sure how recent Blender is in Debian testing now, due to freeze (it will end soon though).

Actually, on second thought, most appropriate Blender benchies will want to test OpenCL, and that's traditionally not a strong contender with Mesa.

But basemark (if you can get it to actually run), unigine heaven, unigine superposition. Trying to think of a non-game application here, but really anything worth benchmarking will have effectively a game at heart. Anything else isn't really useful for benchmarking.
But the unigine benchies will give some of the OpenGL shaders a workout.

Shmerl commented on 3 July 2019 at 9:01 pm UTC

I think it's currently only active for radv, so OpenGL benchmarks will need to wait.

mirv commented on 3 July 2019 at 9:14 pm UTC

ShmerlI think it's currently only active for radv, so OpenGL benchmarks will need to wait.

Yes, my bad. Wonder why I was thinking it could take OpenGL....must be tired. Apologies for the noise!
(though basemark has a vulkan backend apparently)

Shmerl commented on 3 July 2019 at 9:17 pm UTC

They plan to enable it for radeonsi, but now focus on radv.

QuoteQ: Is it radv-only or will RadeonSI work?
A: radv for now, but we intend to look at RadeonSI once things are farther along.

The_Aquabat commented on 3 July 2019 at 9:37 pm UTC

@Shmerl

I'm having troubles compiling. What flag should I pass to -dri-drivers?? seems that part is failing? just swrast is ok??

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts