Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Nvidia or AMD graphics card for a Linux gaming PC
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Jul 11, 2019
about fan handling, of course there some utilities, I like this one, it's simple and to the point.

(Qt fan Ctl)

and there's also WattmanGTK for OC

Koopacabras Jul 11, 2019
@Xpander

of course nvidia drivers solution is less than ideal, if I want to run a newer kernel than the default (4.12) on OpenSuSe, then getting the packages from the Nvidia repo will not work. That's what I was referring to.

I mean really?? they only provide support for the (ancient) 4.12 kernel on OpenSUSE?? it must be a bad joke, I like to run old kernels but not _that_ old, the 4.19 lts branch is already point 58 release. Is that the best NVIDIA can do??
Shmerl Jul 12, 2019
I'd recommend to wait a bit, if that's an option, and then get one of the new Navi cards using custom, not reference design. By the time custom design cards will come out, kernel and Mesa will be in better shape. Navi are really the best cards AMD offers, and especially AMD RX 5700 XT is enough to play even demanding games at 2560x1440 with very good framerates.
Shmerl Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: RoosterAMD:

Cons:
- less supported for Linux native games (example: https://support.feralinteractive.com/en/faqs/mesa_support/)

This FAQ looks very outdated, referencing some ancient and obsolete versions of Mesa, so it's not relevant today.

The notion that Mesa has less supported games today is simply incorrect. Mesa developers gradually fixed most issues that affected older games. Overall, Nvidia doesn't have less issues than AMD, including for new games.
Xpander Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombie@Xpander

of course nvidia drivers solution is less than ideal, if I want to run a newer kernel than the default (4.12) on OpenSuSe, then getting the packages from the Nvidia repo will not work. That's what I was referring to.

I mean really?? they only provide support for the (ancient) 4.12 kernel on OpenSUSE?? it must be a bad joke, I like to run old kernels but not _that_ old, the 4.19 lts branch is already point 58 release. Is that the best NVIDIA can do??

no idea about suse, but running kernel 5.2 and nvidia 430.26 for last 5 days without issues.
Koopacabras Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlI'd recommend to wait a bit, if that's an option, and then get one of the new Navi cards using custom, not reference design. By the time custom design cards will come out, kernel and Mesa will be in better shape. Navi are really the best cards AMD offers, and especially AMD RX 5700 XT is enough to play even demanding games at 2560x1440 with very good framerates.

he is talking about low/mid range a 1050ti, Navi mid/low range won't be released till next year or 6 months at least, I'd say.
For me it's clear that in that price range the Rx 570 beats the 1050TI hands down, just look at this statistics. https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-570/3649vs3924

that's why I was saying unless you want to buy high end cards, AMD is the best choice for all the others mid and low range, and with NAVI it's almost a niche market, the "really" high end, when Nvidia is worth purchasing.
Sojiro84 Jul 12, 2019
I recently upgraded my old PC that was Intel and NVIDIA to a AMD build.

So I had:
Intel 3rd Gen Quadcore at 4Ghz
NVIDIA GTX 1080

I now have:
Ryzen 2700x
AMD 580

I basically bought the 580 just to test out the experience with the opensource AMD driver. I was planning on switching back to my GTX 1080 since that card is more powerful but the opensource driver experience was so much better with AMD that I went with a lesser card.

The experience with the AMD driver on Linux is also better then NVIDIA. NVIDIA isn't bad but it had some quirks with my triple monitor setup and with AMD I had no issues there.

Performance wise, NVIDIA is better, but AMD is a better fit with Linux.
chui2ch Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: chancho_zombie@Xpander

Nvidia has a repo for tumble weed that supports the newest kernels. https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/tumbleweed/.
randomgamerguy1997 Jul 12, 2019
I myself think nvidia is the better option as at least a few major linux ports of games don't support AMD cards
Shmerl Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: randomgamerguy1997I myself think nvidia is the better option as at least a few major linux ports of games don't support AMD cards

Used not to support. That was mostly fixed already by Mesa developers - they explicitly asked to collect such list and worked on fixing those cases. Those were mostly low quality ports, that lost support from original developers soon after release.

See:

* https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Mesa_Broken
* https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Games_with_recent_fixes_in_Mesa

If you know something that still doesn't work and not in the first list above, please add it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.