You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Is it possible to run overlay addons in WINE?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Draconicrose Jul 11, 2019
Hello GoL!

I play Guild Wars 2 through WINE, using the fan pack on the official forums. There is an addon that I would like to run, called TacO, which overlays itself on top of the game window.

It's a separate .exe from the game. On a different Lutris build I tried to run the exe inside the same wine prefix, but it didn't work. As I don't know much about WINE and google is failing me, I was hoping the forum goers here would have a clue as to how to do this.
Shmerl Jul 12, 2019
I suppose it depends on the add-on. For instance Vulkan layer based overlays should work (for Vulkan use case).
Draconicrose Jul 12, 2019
I actually have no idea what the overlay is based on.
Avehicle7887 Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: DraconicroseI actually have no idea what the overlay is based on.

Hi,

ArmoredVehicle here, I haven't dabbled with TacO in Linux but I'll look into it and if possible add a way to easily install it from that package. :)
Draconicrose Jul 12, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887

Hi,

ArmoredVehicle here, I haven't dabbled with TacO in Linux but I'll look into it and if possible add a way to easily install it from that package. :)

That would be so good! Using TacO is the only thing I miss from playing on Windows.
Draconicrose Sep 4, 2019

Hi,

Hey, have you had any chance to look into this?
Avehicle7887 Sep 4, 2019
Quoting: Draconicrose

Hi,

Hey, have you had any chance to look into this?

Not yet, tbh I've been knee deep in PvP matches lately. I'll get around to it at some point though :)
Draconicrose Sep 5, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887Not yet, tbh I've been knee deep in PvP matches lately. I'll get around to it at some point though :)

That's fine! Thank you :)
Draconicrose Jan 19, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887I'll get around to it at some point though :)
Hey, did you ever get around to checking this out? I think my messages are getting lost in the official forum thread! TaCo is really the ONE thing I miss.
Avehicle7887 Jan 19, 2020
Quoting: Draconicrose
Quoting: Avehicle7887I'll get around to it at some point though :)
Hey, did you ever get around to checking this out? I think my messages are getting lost in the official forum thread! TaCo is really the ONE thing I miss.

I tested it a few times and the overlay does work however there seems to be a transparency issue between it and the game. I checked the logs and TacO itself uses DX11 (basically an invisible window over GW2's DX9, also confirmed in an old dxvk ticket: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/1225 Not much I can do.

Here's what I get as of DXVK 1.5.1:

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 20 January 2020 at 1:09 am UTC
Draconicrose Jan 19, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887Here's what I get as of DXVK 1.5.1:
Oof that's unfortunate. Thank you so much for looking into it! Could you please tell me how you got the overlay to show up? Just so I can, in the future, keep an eye on these issues and check for myself whether it will work or not.

For people coming across this post, there is a workaround for XFCE at the time of writing: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/1275884/#Comment_1275884

Last edited by Draconicrose on 14 July 2020 at 8:50 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.