Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
No tux no bucks
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Poll results: Is no tux no bucks harmful or helpful to Linux gaming?
Helpful

14 vote(s)
70%
Harmful

6 vote(s)
30%
Scoopta Sep 8, 2019
Quoting: GuestAlso Linux native builds are not always that great of a solution. I already have one game that ceased to work because the OS doesn't ship the same libraries and the devs won't update it so i run the Windows version through proton. I wonder how many of my games will meet the same fate.
In all honesty my response to this is to usually download the old lib from an older distro repo and then put it in the game folder and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH although this is more annoying. That being said you still bought the game Linux native so it doesn't really apply. Currently I only use proton for games I bought before switching to Linux or games that are free/were acquired in bundles. I think proton is great at least for playing your game backlog but I'm on the fence about paying for a game specifically for use in proton.
Scoopta Sep 9, 2019
Quoting: GuestHowever, as other people already said in this thread, I never say these exact words to the devs when we talk about possibility of Linux support. The "No Tux - no bux" for me is just a sound name for the policy that I follow when choosing a game to buy, and also a nice slogan to say in front of fellow Linux gamers, but never to the devs/pubs or their representatives. You have to be respectful and polite in negotiations like these.
I'm only referring to the policy, I cleared that up in an edit as a lot of people seemed to have the impression I was referring to the statement.
commodore256 Sep 9, 2019
How about "No Free, (Libre) no Fee"?

If a FOSS game dev made a good standalone game for one of the Id Software engines or other libre engines and had all libre scripting, I'd buy a nice boxed collectors edition with replicated discs, a soundtrack, a poster and a premium strategy guide.

If you think my views are too unreasonable, that's probably what most game devs think of "no tux, no bux". Though in all seriousness, I'd rather have a "No free, no fee" movement.
GustyGhost Sep 10, 2019
My personal approach is "No code, nothing owed."
Rooster Sep 10, 2019
My approach:
If I can't play your game on Linux based OS, I won't buy the game.
If I can play your game on Linux based OS, but my purchase registers as a Windows sale, I most likely won't buy your game.
If I can play your game on Linux based OS and my purchase registers as such, I might buy your game.
If you made the effort to support Linux based OS specifically, it is more likely I will buy your game even if it isn't a must buy for me.
damarrin Sep 10, 2019
Yeah, I’ve bought games I had no interest in just because the dev supported Linux. I realise it makes no sense.
Arehandoro Sep 10, 2019
To me, it's neither. Personally, I don't follow that mantra. If a game works with Wine/Proton/Emulator and I fancy playing the game I end up buying it anyway. The fact that certain companies decide not releasing the game for our platform does not mean people that work in it have the same ideas that the company as a whole. Of course, I give more priority to native games but I do not limit myself more than necessary.
Cyril Sep 10, 2019
Ideally yeah I agree with this stance, but personally I don't always apply it, and for my side is a bit more complicated.
I don't mind buying some Windows only games released some years ago, but they have to be DRM-Free (and out of Steam).
I prefer buying a Windows DRM-free game on GOG than buying a native title on Steam, and I know a lot of people don't agree with this and/or really understand that position.
DRM is a nonsense, whatever OS, software, file you use, period. Same with Free software, right now I think I'm at 98% (If I don't count games of course).
"No tux, no bucks" is not harmful if you don't spam forums about it IMO. But I don't really like devs who ask the community about it and sometimes gives hopes for nothing. Just adding a +1 in a thread like some of us do is nice.

In the end, Linux games releases could help a lot for Linux adoption in general. Even if it's still proprietary games, if majority of people were using a nearly 100% Free software OS that would be better in many aspects!

Sorry to be a bit off topic!
eldaking Sep 11, 2019
I don't consider it harmful, but it is mostly... inconsequential.

"Voting with your wallet" is only a good idea if you are rich.

All it takes is one rich asshole with an agenda to outvote all Linux players of a game (let's say, someone with a Windows-only store that wants to get exclusive games by giving money to developers). Or even some slightly more affluent Windows gamer dude that pre-orders a more-than-full-price deluxe edition, paying several times more than I ever would. I buy relatively few games, almost always on sale, and with regional prices.

Even if you argue for strength in numbers... we aren't a majority. If we all banded together in a well-organized boycott, it would be a tall order to reduce sales by a few percent points. Not meaningless, of course, but I'm not sure if worth the effort. Heck, the visibility from being boycotted might get them more Windows sales than they lose.

My perception of the value of a game (and thus, likelihood to buy) is already affected by Linux support (and many other things). I won't buy a game I can't play. I am less likely to buy a game that has inferior support or requires too much effort. I don't need to discipline myself to not buy Windows-only games, because I already have a good reason to not do it. But if somehow a game is still worth buying despite not having native support, I will buy it. I won't hold back from doing stuff out of some delusion that I will make a difference for a big corporation.
Scoopta Sep 12, 2019
Quoting: CyrilIdeally yeah I agree with this stance, but personally I don't always apply it, and for my side is a bit more complicated.
I don't mind buying some Windows only games released some years ago, but they have to be DRM-Free (and out of Steam).
I prefer buying a Windows DRM-free game on GOG than buying a native title on Steam, and I know a lot of people don't agree with this and/or really understand that position.
DRM is a nonsense, whatever OS, software, file you use, period. Same with Free software, right now I think I'm at 98% (If I don't count games of course).
"No tux, no bucks" is not harmful if you don't spam forums about it IMO. But I don't really like devs who ask the community about it and sometimes gives hopes for nothing. Just adding a +1 in a thread like some of us do is nice.

In the end, Linux games releases could help a lot for Linux adoption in general. Even if it's still proprietary games, if majority of people were using a nearly 100% Free software OS that would be better in many aspects!

Sorry to be a bit off topic!
Given you're talking about free software I assume that nvidia card is from a while ago and you haven't had a chance to upgrade.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.