Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «8/21»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 8, 2019
That problem with C6 is not related to PSUs. It's just a hardware bug in the fist generation Ryzens. My PSU supports C6 just fine, but with Ryzen 1700X it was hanging, and that was solved only once I upgraded the processor.

Last edited by Shmerl on 8 December 2019 at 5:32 pm UTC
Shmerl Dec 9, 2019
Just tried 5.5-rc1.

1. powerplay issues with "failed to send message" are gone.
2. Flicker when resuming from suspend bug is gone.
3. Flip patch is already there, so upstream has the fix for related GPU hangs in Pathfinder: Kingmaker and etc.

Very good progress there! So I'd say if you aim to buy a Navi GPU but don't want to deal with manual fixing, 5.5 should be already good out of the box, paired with Mesa 19.3 and llvm 10.

Last edited by Shmerl on 9 December 2019 at 1:21 am UTC
Plintslîcho Dec 9, 2019
Quoting: sergeMy brother bought a Rizen 7 1800x and he had the idle crash, i installed disable-c6-systemd from the AUR, and no more idle crash, in his case it is probably because he use an old PSU that does not support C6/C7 state.

You have to be sure the service is started, otherwise it will do nothing, and also your CPU will always be at a higher clock, and you will lose the turbo.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I have for the time being reverted all boot loader as well as BIOS options since nothing has helped anyway. I may be looking into getting a new CPU next year. Let's see what next year will bring, if Intel will have something to compete with AMD's CPU's. And then there's the next generation of Ryzen CPU's and mainboards that are supposed to hit the market by the end of next year as well.

But for now I don't care much anymore. It's the end of the year, not much time for computing, let alone building a new one or replacing essential parts of it. For now I'll only look forward for the holidays. =)
Shmerl Dec 9, 2019
Quoting: PlintslîchoI have for the time being reverted all boot loader as well as BIOS options since nothing has helped anyway.

So your UEFI didn't have the "typical current idle" option?
Plintslîcho Dec 9, 2019
It has, but setting it or leaving it on auto doesn't make any difference.
So I set it back to auto now.
serge Dec 10, 2019
Same for my brother, bios update or changing bios options did nothing, neither kernel parameters.

But disabling C6 state with systemd is effective.
Xpander Dec 10, 2019
yeah i had the same bug with my early 1700X, bios option for Asus X370 prime didnt disable core c6 state but only package.

I just added this to startup:

zenstates --c6-disable

this will disable both:

C6 State - Package - Disabled
C6 State - Core - Disabled

Anyway i upgraded to 3700X and now i can have it enabled with no issues.
Koopacabras Dec 11, 2019
I also had problems with my 1600 but it was one of the first silicons and would also crash gcc a lot besides other programs as well. I ended switching to a 2600, no problems with that at all. Some of those silicons are really faulty if you are really lucky I guess you could send it to RMA.
Koopacabras Dec 11, 2019
Quoting: The_AquabatI also had problems with my 1600 but it was one of the first silicons and would also crash gcc a lot besides other programs as well. I ended switching to a 2600, no problems with that at all. Some of those silicons are really faulty if you are really lucky I guess you could send it to RMA.

you have to be lucky because some ppl report that even after three times of getting replacements from RMA they still have faulty chips. I didn't want to go through all that hassle and ended up replacing it for a 2600.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 11 December 2019 at 6:00 pm UTC
Shmerl Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, first generation Ryzens are just too buggy. Save yourself the trouble and get a new Zen 2 chip (3000 series).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.