Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[Rant]: RX 5700... a frustrating experience
Page: «20/21»
  Go to:
tuubi Apr 25, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887
Quoting: Trias
Quoting: Avehicle7887I don't know if this might help but I just noticed the AMD firmwares have been updated in the linux-firmware git: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/

By the way, is it possible to revert changes from this git and go back to previous linux-firmware?
I installed it (sudo cp -va amdgpu/ /lib/firmware/ and sudo update-initramfs -u, according to this article ) on my Linux Mint 19.3 and now I am getting a lot of warnings "Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/ ... for module amdgpu" every time something is using update-initramfs (e. g. every time I am installing new kernel).

That command seems ok, to be safe it's probably better to open up a gui as sudo and copy paste all the amdgpu firmware in /lib/firmware/amdgpu

The errors you're getting in terminal indicate that those files are not being found.
You'll get those warnings even with the default firmware package if you install a recent kernel. They're harmless as long as you're not missing firmware required by your own hardware.
Trias Apr 25, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887That command seems ok, to be safe it's probably better to open up a gui as sudo and copy paste all the amdgpu firmware in /lib/firmware/amdgpu

The errors you're getting in terminal indicate that those files are not being found.

I checked both linux-firmware-20200316 from git and linux-firmware_1.186 from ubuntu and I don't see arcturus and navi12 files that I miss in amdgpu folders. So, nothing to copy...

Quoting: tuubiYou'll get those warnings even with the default firmware package if you install a recent kernel. They're harmless as long as you're not missing firmware required by your own hardware.

There are no major problems, so I think it's fine. And if it's about kernel, not firmware itself, I think I just leave it like this. Thanks.
Laboratoryo_ni_Neil May 29, 2020
In terms of stability, what's the current status of RX 5700 or Navi in general?

There are rumors of RX 5300 and I'm interested in low end GPU's.
Tuxee May 29, 2020
I would not recommend it.

My RX 5700 works fine on Ubuntu 18.04.4 with Mesa 20.0 and two displays, but pretty much all other combinations (Ubuntu 20.04 with Kernels 5.4 to 5.6, Mesa 20.0 and various firmware versions) run into hefty problems: long boot times, screen flicker, crashes, etc.
It's not an Ubuntu thing since a live Manjaro image exhibited the same symptoms.
It's not a hardware thing since my Ryzen 7/X570/RX 5700 combo shows the same problems as my Ryzen 5/B450/RX 5500XT.
This is however only valid if you use more than one screen.
I've attached my Ryzen 5 setup to a single 4k display and everything ran without any hiccups for hours. Connect a second display and everything goes south.
This has been my experience so far but they are closely matched by these bug reports (the first issue was reported nearly 8 months ago)
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/929

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1133

Edit: Typo

Last edited by Tuxee on 29 May 2020 at 2:21 pm UTC
TobyGornow May 29, 2020
I'm on Manjaro Testing, with a dual screen setup (Screen, drawing tablet and Tv) all in 1080p but 1 hdmi + 1 Dp so not the same situation as Tuxee. Everything is silky smooth, no flicker, no crash or other problems so I can only recommend.

I need to buy another DP to Hdmi converter and try to reproduce this dual screen problem.
wolfyrion Jun 9, 2021
I am on Manjaro with FULL AMD Hardware and an RX 6900 XT on 4x Displays - with the latest MESA drivers and everything is running more than fine.

At the beginning I had some weird problems with my GPU but they got fixed with the newest Mesa Drivers and kernel release.

Also I remember I had a very weird problem like very slow startups and weird behavior of my pc and that was because of my USB HUB - took me some time to find the problem. Replaced it and got industrial usb hub.

In the past I had also PSU Issues so I always go with 1000 W or 1500 W and always with the top brands like be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W.
Avehicle7887 Jun 9, 2021
Running full AMD system here.

5800X CPU
RX 6800 (non-XT)
Mesa 21.1.2
Kernel 5.11.22

Running 2x 2560x1440 monitors both connected via DisplayPort. Never had any issues even when I was on Mesa 21.0.x
Cybolic Jul 4, 2021
Quoting: wolfyrionI am on Manjaro with FULL AMD Hardware and an RX 6900 XT on 4x Displays - with the latest MESA drivers and everything is running more than fine. [...]
Quoting: Avehicle7887[...] Never had any issues even when I was on Mesa 21.0.x
Thanks wolfyrion and Avehicle7887 for posting that! My 6900XT is currently in the mail (switching from an RTX 2080 Ti) and I was getting worried, looking through the forum for tips, that I had made an expensive mistake! I'm already on Mesa 21.1.3 and kernel 5.12.14, so hopefully everything will be fine :)
Shmerl Jul 4, 2021
Posted some Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT results here and here. It runs perfectly so far.

Kernel: 5.13.
Desktop operation Mesa: 21.1.2.
Gaming Mesa: main branch.

Last edited by Shmerl on 4 July 2021 at 5:54 pm UTC
Cybolic Jul 5, 2021
I will mention: upgrade your BIOS before you plug in your card! I couldn't get the BIOS to boot before that and now I have to fix GRUB because the update hosed UEFI, so do remember that extra step if you're getting one of these lovely new cards.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.